Logo

force 50 won't go into neutral

alextuynman

I have a 1993 (?) 50 horsepower force engine model # 507f92c and serial # 031815.
I rebuilt the lower unit and replaced the seals.
the process went like this. Took off lower unit, and took out prop shaft (without any special tools like a puller or anything). Took out the whole prop shaft including the shift cam. I replaced the pinion gear that attaches to the drive shaft. And the ring around the pinion gear. I then replaced all the seals as I was putting the lower unit back together.
The lower unit is all back together and on the motor now. But I can't get it to shift into neutral. when I spin the prop shaft, it spins the driveshaft no matter which Direction in turn the prop shaft.

I am an amateur mechanic and don't really know what I'm doing, but that being said I am pretty mechanically inclined. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes I believe it did engage on the clutch dog correctly. I took it apart last night and I think I figured it out. it seems that when I put the shafts bearing cage onto the front and screw it down tight, the clutch then engages into the reverse gear. I am going to try attaching the lower unit to the motor. And before I put in the bearing cage, attaching the shift shaft to the motor so I know it's in neutral. Then putting the bearing cage on. Does that sound right?

You should be able to reassemble with out any special moves.
Give it a try and see how it goes.
It sounds like the shift yoke didn't hook up right.

Back