Logo

electrical issue on early 90's mercury 50 hp

firemanmatt0715

I took the boat out two days ago and on acceleration the motor would smother out like it was flooding. I did a first start the night before on the water hose and it ran fine. I took it out yesterday and fired up the second I hit the key but have a muffled sound, when I circled around to the dock the motor shut down and I cranked off and on for over an hour with no attempt to fire. I left and changed the spark plugs and checked the fuel filter. I'm not getting spark to any of the 3 plugs so I called the dealer and they said the switch box was bad. I'm new on outboards and any and all feedback is appreciated!!

Careful! It might simply be a short in the 'kill' wire circuit to the remote; bbe a shame to spend over 200 bucks plus for a new box when...

A good tech rep will disconnect the kill wire and see if that's the problem. If you want to try it yourself, it's the black/ yellow tracer wire on the top row of the switch box (next to the red and blue wires coming from the stator).

Jeff

Careful! It might simply be a short in the 'kill' wire circuit to the remote; be a shame to spend over 200 bucks plus for a new box when...

A good tech rep will disconnect the kill wire and see if that's the problem. If you want to try it yourself, it's the black/ yellow tracer wire on the top row of the switch box (next to the red and blue wires coming from the stator).

Jeff

Why would you crank the motor off and on for over an hour.----------If you have overheated the starter it will still crank over but slow and that means there will be no spark !!------Test your batery. Take starter apart for inspection and possibly new brushes.

Why would you crank the motor off and on for over an hour.----------If you have overheated the starter it will still crank over but slow and that means there will be no spark !!------Test your batery. Take starter apart for inspection and possibly new brushes.

I didn't overheat the starter, i initially thought it was flooded so I took my cover off and let it air out for a bit. The battery was fresh and the starter is working fine.

Careful! It might simply be a short in the 'kill' wire circuit to the remote; be a shame to spend over 200 bucks plus for a new box when...

Jeff

I will trace them down, thanks!

If you disconnect black/yellow from switch box and check with ohm meter between ground and black yellow should be continuity when key is off and none when key is on if this checks out then i would check stator output before buying a new box to many times have i seen people end up with a new box and then have to get a stator too!!

If you disconnect black/yellow from switch box . check with ohm meter between ground and black yellow should be continuity when key is off and none when key is on if this checks out then i would check stator output before buying a new box to many times have i seen people end up with a new box and then have to get a stator too!!

Thanks! I was afraid of that, That's why I sought more experience the dealer wanted around 250 and said there were 25-30 tickets ahead of me so I should just go ahead and buy one lol

Back