Logo

Tach problem on 99 BF50 (or worse?)

AdventureTime

Have a 98-99 Honda BF50 that's been working like a dream for a couple of years, but the Perko accidentally got switched to 'Off' while underway (immediately switched back) which appears to have blown the tachometer, which was working fine up until that moment.

I'm wondering if just the tach that may have blown (or perhaps a fuse dedicated to the tach if that exists), or worse if that's evidence I may have also damaged the rectifier or coils. There are no other gauges.

Not sure how long it takes an older battery pair to discharge without a properly working rectifier, but had no problems starting the boat for a good 3 months after the problem occurred (until the end of the season). Operation seemed normal except for the tach.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I probably have more questions than answers...at this point.

Do you have other gauges? Are they working ok?

The battery is only used to crank and start the motor...in addition to any accessories or lighting on the boat. So the battery may last a while, depending on how you use the boat.

Of course, you should check the fuses. There should be a 15 amp and a 10 amp. The 15 amp feeds the rectifier/regulator and the 10 amp feeds the keyswitch from the regulator/rectifier.

I doubt that either fuse is blown, since you said that you have been using the boat for 3 months.

All that being said.....if you have a voltmeter, connect it across the battery and check the voltage before you start the engine. Start the engine and run it to about 2000 rpm and check to see if the voltage has increased to 13 - 14v. If so, then the charging system is probably working. The tach circuit might be damaged...or your tach could be damaged.

Here is a link to a Faria website that steps through how to check your tachometer. Notice it tells you how to measure for a signal on the grey lead to the tachometer, too. If you have power (battery and ground) and a signal to tach, then the tach is toast.

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0100_Tachometers.pdf

This should get you going.

Also, if you do not have a wiring diagram of your motor, you can download an owner's manual from Honda, which includes a wiring diagram. Choose based on your serial number.

http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF50

Mike

Back