Logo

2002 Mercury 200hp 2 stroke carb stalls

sonnyboy2

Have a 2002 mercury 200hp stroke carb engine starts fine operates at higher rpms fine. Will bog at midrange when accelerating or stall at midrange if trying to maintain that rpm (roughly 2500) under load. If you depress the electric choke button when you bog, it will clear it and go on accelerating .Starts right up when it stalls. Doesn't lose fuel pressure. Had 100 hr service done recently new fuel and water separator filters, plugs, etc. Fuel was clean no water. Carburetors inspected and look good. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks

Werit the carbs removed for this inspection?

The tech removed the top carb and found it to be extremely clean and did not feel the remaining carbs needed to be pulled. The power head was recently changed before I bought the boat a few months back. The tech felt they would most probably went through the carbs when they installed the new powerhead. Unfortunately I didn't receive any paperwork.

Half measures. He assumed.

If the engine speeds up while pushing in the key, you have a fuel delivery issue. I would pull the carbs and make sure they are clean. I would also look at the fuel pump and all fuel line connections.

Those carbs are in need of a good soak and probing of the little passages if its bogging or as jeff says could just be a hair lean on mixture!!

Seen this several times and every one had a warped rubber check valve disk in fuel pump, apparently the fuel pressure was to low to keep carbs filled...

Ahhhh! Good call. A fuel pressure gage test should tell; pressure should be around 3 to 4 pounds at idle, going up to 5 or 6 at WOT.

As a working test, try gently squeezing the bulb and see if that helps.

Jeff

Back