Logo

Engine dying in rough weather

Greatrath

I have a Honda bf130 on a 6.5 metre rib. During a reason outing in 1- 1.5 meter seas, when the boat hit a wave the engine would nearly stall. I have checked all electrical connections and also under advise, checke for water in fuel. So far no luck. Any ideas?

It is possible that the wave hit the exhaust relief on the back of the motor and forced some water into #3 or most likely #4 cylinder.

If you are still having an issue in smooth water....the first thing I would do is check the compression on all of your cylinders and check your spark plugs.

If the compression is good (within 10% on all cylinders and around 199 - 208 psi....with the throttle wide open), then change the spark plugs with NGK ZFR7F. They are not that expensive.

Unless there is some mechanical issue with the engine, the biggest problem that the 115/130 has is it needs good fresh fuel and good spark plugs.

Mike

It is possible that the wave hit the exhaust relief on the back of the motor and forced some water into #3 or most likely #4 cylinder.If you are still having an issue in smooth water....the first thing I would do is check the compression on all of your cylinders and check your spark plugs. If the compression is good (within 10% on all cylinders and around 199 - 208 psi....with e throttle wide open), then change the spark plugs with NGK ZFR7F. They are not that expensive. Unless there is some mechanical issue with the engine, the biggest problem that the 115/130 has is it needs good fresh fuel and good spark plugs.Mike
MikeThanks for taking a the time to reply to my post. I'll try a set of plugs in it and see how it goes

Back