Logo

1970 Merc 50HP Model 500

bandslak

I have a 1970 model 500 Mercury 50 HP.

It runs fairly well and generally starts well but there is a problem with the manual start.

I think the problem stems from the age and wear on the manual start and I am looking for any possible solutions. The
motor does have a bracket for an electric start but by the time I purchase one as well as a flywheel and possibly other
electrical components it probably would cost quite a bit more that it is worth.

At the top of the manual start there is a washer with (I think) 5 tabs on the outside and 1 tab on the inside. I find
that I have to buy these washers about 10 at a time or so because after a number of pulls the washers do not hold.

This inside tab fits into a slot in the threaded bolt that holds the manual start together. I think what is happening is
that due to wear, this inside tab is slipping out of the notch/slot every so often.

If I was a good enough welder I might be able to add a little bit of weld to the inside tab to help hold it in the slot.

I really can't think of any other solution and am wondering if anyone out there has run into this or a similar problem and can
offer any other solutions.

Thanks

That washer should last the life of the motor !!!!------------Something is assembled wrong or you are missing something here.----Post pictures.--------No need to modify the factory design here.

Back