Logo

Nice, used 8hp 2001 info??

merc200dalarna

Contributing Member
It's a big step up for my little fishing boat, from the 1972 merc 20hp to this all modern 8hp honda.

I'm looking for a link to a good exploded view of all engine parts?

My Honda is european sold, since Im swedish, but I'm OK if I get a link to model bf8 2001 (Honda sweden does not provide exloded view to owners, just dealers...)

Just for my knowledge,is there any known issues to look out for?
Any known restrictor? Since they used this engine for future 9,9?

I'm hoping not to have to return here as much as with the old merc =)

It's a short shaft manual start, but I might perhaps buy a starter motor if I find one, haven't checked if the flywheel is prepared with cogs for starter?

Here you go. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2001/BF8D1 SA/parts.html

The 8 does not have a restrictor. It has different carburetion and cam.

I do not think it is going to be very straight forward making it electric start. There may be a kit in your country. I know there is not in the USA. You will have to add the starter, solinoid, flywheel, battery cables and either change the rectifier/regulator or had to design some way to add a switch to start the motor.

There is more to it than you think.

Mike

Here you go. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2001/BF8D1 SA/parts.html

The 8 does not have a restrictor. It has different carburetion and cam.

I do not think it is going to be very straight forward making it electric start. There may be a kit in your country. I know there is not in the USA. You will have to add the starter, solinoid, flywheel, battery cables and either change the rectifier/regulator or had to design some way to add a switch to start the motor.

There is more to it than you think.

Mike
I found the same carburator on 2007 and older 9.9 (BJ05AD, Honda reference 7768534) as a spare part.
And I found no other flywheel than the one with cogs for starter, but I haven't checked mine.

I'm very glad to have this motor and it coldstarts first pull, but if I ever got hold of a remanufactured starter it would be a dream.
(Like some 70-100$ I've seen for other motors on your ebay...)
And a simple switch would do the trick, I have 12v right by the transom for my Lowrance ; )
And since all the hassle with the mercury I had, I've started to enjoy DIY, especially my low budget version of it ; )

You just gotta try, no matter that you have no experience, it ain't rocket science.

But thanks for reply mr. Hondadude, I've read many posts with great mentions of your name!!

Just a side thought - replacing a 20 HP motor with an 8 HP motor, no matter how good the 8 HP, you may be very disappointed. I've always use the rule of thumb that you power a boat with the maximum, or near maximum HP recommended by the manufacturer.

Just a side thought - replacing a 20 HP motor with an 8 HP motor, no matter how good the 8 HP, you may be very disappointed. I've always use the rule of thumb that you power a boat with the maximum, or near maximum HP recommended by the manufacturer.
I know, but I fish, and for fishing the advantages of 4 stroke will be many.
I will also fish a smaller lake this year, known for better "pike-density" LOL

Btw, my flywheel is not cogged, so it would have to be replaced for a starter.

Back