Logo

Engine control options aq120b

I have a 18ft 1978 bayliner quartermaster with aq120b and morse throttle control/shifterBut: I have no throttle cable and the shifter cable is locked up.I'm not so found of the morse shifter set up mostly because I don't know how it works exactly with shifting gears and the design. I'm use to singe arm forward for forward, pull back for reverse. Seeing as I need new cable anyways I was curious what my other options are for a complete shifter controller setup. So suggestions on other controllers Or stick with the morse and just get cables for that Thank you

There should be numbers on the cables to tell you the type and length. You can get a single lever control to work if you have the cable lengths. Ask ricardo as he is the resident VP guru. Did you find the throttle cable bracket on the motor maybe he can help there as well. Some pics under the carb/s may be helpful.

my throttle cable is non-existent so no numbers to read.
shifter cable is worn I haven't found any numbers yet but maybe in the black tube it goes through out the transom
i did remove cable from shifter side and outdrive side, it's the cable
no cable bracket on the motor, figure I could create some mount to work
its a side-draft carb. So the cable has to come from below it and pull downwards
do you have a suggestion on what single controller to use?

Last edited:
What is wrong with the single lever control you have now?
If it works , just put new cables in it. Cables don't last forever .
Straight up on this page it says "Boat Accessories" with a blue flag by it,
put your mouse pointer on that and a list will pop down, click on "STEERING AND CONTROLS"
Lots of parts there.

What is wrong with the single lever control you have now?If it works , just put new cables in it. Cables don't last forever .
Straight up on this page it says "Boat Accessories" with a blue flag by it,
put your mouse pointer on that and a list will pop down, click on "STEERING AND CONTROLS"
Lots of parts there.

1. The neutral safety switch is broken, the electronic housing is cracked and a wire terminal broke off from the inside. Sure I can solder it back on and glue tape the housing. Or just solder the grounds together and jump it all together and run the risk of putting it in gear at the wrong time
2. I've never used this shifter before not entire sure how it work. I'm sure with new cables on it I could figure it out. I can only push in the shifter lever when the throttle lever is in a certain spot and then I move the shifter and it pops in in gear ( forward, reverse I do not know yet)
3. If I'm going to spend close to $100 on new cables then I would like to know if there is another controller all together I might be able to use instead. Most likely used because new ones sure ain't cheap.

i have no engine brackets for the cable, just a morse shifter and one locked up shifter cable, no throttle cable

Sounds like you need to start searching for a used shift control, one that mounts like your original.
Keep the old cable, it will come in handy for measuring the length you need for the missing cable.

Back