Logo

2004 Sea Ray 300 engine switch

Ksamp

I am having issues with the engine switches at the helm. They will start the engines but will not shut them down. We have to go inside the cabin to shut them down. This just recently started and I can't figure out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like you need to do more troubleshooting before buying parts....are these gasoline engines or diesels?

Has the wiring recently been altered in any way? Maybe house wiring backfeeding into the ignition on circuits. You will want to get a experienced marine mechanic to diagnose the issue. If you dont know what your doing dont do it.

Just recently put a new motor in. It wasn't happening until that work took place. The mechanic that did the work is trying to figure it out. Could it be a tach or speedo issue?

so you got one new engine and now neither ignition switch works properly...??? sounds like somebody hacked the wiring somewhere....

2X on the Q in post #6...

The ignition switch should supply +12VDC to the ignition when its in RUN and nothing when OFF....may read lower if an older style ignition is used (w/ a ballast resistor). If the +12VDC remains when the engine is running, and the switch off, the ignition keeps working....if the wiring is correct, the alternator could be a source if it has malfunctioned.

so you got one new engine and now neither ignition switch works properly...??? sounds like somebody hacked the wiring somewhere....

2X on the Q in post #6...

The ignition switch should supply +12VDC to the ignition when its in RUN and nothing when OFF....may read lower if an older style ignition is used (w/ a ballast resistor). If the +12VDC remains when the engine is running, and the switch off, the ignition keeps working....if the wiring is correct, the alternator could be a source if it has malfunctioned.

The starboard switch in the cabin will shut down both engines. Not sure if they will run with the switch off. 2 inboard Merc 350 mag gas engines. Thank you all so much for the help and suggestions.

Starboard switch? What does the switch do? Why is it providing power to both ignition systems?

In the cabin there is a seperate switch for port and starboard power. Next to the key switches. Im not sure why it is providing power to both switches.

I think the boat does have smart craft gauges. They have the digital read out on the bottom of them.The engines are complete drop-ins.

When I get back to the shop possibly tomorrow. I will look up the part numbers to fix this issue. When you replace the older engines with newer dressed engines you have to reconfigure the boat.

First diagram is what you should have. Two engines hooked to one J Block then hooked to the gauges.

Second Diagram is what you need to have. What you need to do is add one more J Block Part Number 878492K14. One J block for each engine and then connect the J Blocks together with Cable PN 84-891957K01.

SeaRay probably installed the original J Block up in the Helm somewhere.

The engine computers have to programmed for Identify Port and Starboard. This is about $130.00 in parts.

Actual.jpgShould have.jpg

Last edited:
First diagram is what you should have. Two engines hooked to one J Block then hooked to the gauges.

Second Diagram is what you need to have. What you need to do is add one more J Block Part Number 878492K14. One J block for each engine and then connect the J Blocks together with Cable PN 84-891957K01.

SeaRay probably installed the original J Block up in the Helm somewhere.

The engine computers have to programmed for Identify Port and Starboard. This is about $130.00 in parts.

View attachment 10979View attachment 10980

Chris, I can't thank you enough for all the info. I will try it and let you know if works. Thanks again!!

I think the boat does have smart craft gauges. They have the digital read out on the bottom of them.The engines are complete drop-ins.
We removed the port engine and had it rebuilt. No work to starboard engine except new exhaust manifold. Would this still be the case for what was done?

You stated that you installed Complete drop-ins.

This goes for all who use this site. If you do not answer our questions completely and accurately we cannot help you.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, I have been very sick with the Flu. If this is the original electronics on a different engine block then you have to relink the engines. When I get back to the shop this week I will look up your engines. I need the Serial number.

Sorry for the delay, I have been very sick with the Flu. If this is the original electronics on a different engine block then you have to relink the engines. When I get back to the shop this week I will look up your engines. I need the Serial number.

I'm sorry to hear that you're sick. It was the same block that was rebuilt. It has the original electronics but everything was remove and replaced. The serial numbers are OM664814 and OM819661. Not sure which one had the work done, but I will know in a few days if you need that.

When installing the long block your mechanic linked the engines together. he didn't know any better. If he can remember what he plugged in that was not plugged in before and can disconnect it your problem should be solved,

Both PCM's are being woken up by both engines.

Sorry I have not been back to work yet, still sick.

Back