Logo

Mercury 2008 80HP 4-Stroke EFI Fuel Problem

david861514

Hello,
Ive was out fishing yesterday and engine was on tick over for about 10min i went to throttle up the engine and it just died.
The engine struggles to turn over like its locked up. I took of the cover off and there was a lot petrol dripping out of the air filter and i think there is also petrol coming out of the prop .Has any one come across this before if so could you direct me to the correct thread.
Thanks Dave

Last edited:
The float switch in the fsm module may be sticking and not shutting off the lift pump and overfilling the fsm and letting fuel into the vapor separating line and dumping it into the intake. If you or a friend have a scan tool plug in and it will give a fsm code if this is the case seems like it is code 202 if i recall

I have a fuel problem but not the same . I don't get an overflow of fuel. This just started. It's australian salmon season and the southern bluefin tune are inshore no, so I have done a fair bit of trolling in the last 2 weeks.
last time out I gave the boat a good run to the area I wanted to fish. Trolled at 2200 rpm for an hour and a half and then the motor cut out. I was low on fuel in that tank and though maybe with the rough water some air was taken up into the line. Added fuel to my running tank and started again. Motor seems to block them starter and then starts. It runs at 2200 for a few minutes and cuts out. Pump the fuel line bulb and she starts and repeats the running a few minutes and cuts out suddenly. I decided that getting back was now the most important thing and headed home. I decided to try 3800 rpm and she ran great. All the way back to the dock , about 30 minutes.
i tried to buy a fuel filter and I have had to order one in
.i changed the spark plugs. All looked pretty good, but on showed signs of having been wet and a bit of salt water corrosion on the outside.
tried the motor on the earmuffs in the driveway . Same. Cuts our while running. It will start again and run for a few minutes and cuts our. Merc 4 stroke efi big foot 2006
any suggestions

Thanks for reply ,i had to take it to main dealer in the end there is a pipe in side the fuel sender unit which had
split coursing the float switch not to lift and flooding engine with fuel . The pipe is about 150mm long the replacement is much stronger mercury now recommend this is changed on a full service. they recommended to change the float switch as is would be damaged now .

Back