Logo

J130TLEDM Lower unit Gear oil leak

I noticed a leak between the foot and the the lower unit in the crease between the two. I ordered a lower unit seal kit that I hope will fix the issue. I bought gasket sealant as well.

any tips for replacing these seals? This is the first time I've done this repair.

also how many quarts of gear lube oil will I need to fill it back up. Thanks

That leak may well be normal.------The gearcase can be pressure tested to find leaking seals / o-rings / gaskets.-------gearcase holds about 1 quart of oil.

HAve you checked the gear oil to see if theres water in it? Im thinking that may be unburnt fuel coming out from the exhaust escaping where the mid section meets the gearcase. If its running too rich or you flooded it youll see fuel and oil all over the place.

Best thing to do right now is have the gear case pressure and vacuumed checked. Takes the guess work out.

Black indicates exhaust/oil/fuel that drips down and freaks people out on a regular basis......Id bet thats what it is...normal in a flooding situation. Ive had to choke mine to keep it idling for the past month and sometimes id shoot too much in it ...its everywhere. I fixed the idle problem and now its gone...If your gearcase oil is clean and not milky - I'd make sure its topped off, run it like you stole it - then recheck. still clean and full - your good.

When I check to see if the gear oil is milky do I just remove the plug and let some leak, examine the gear oil that flowed out, if its good refill, if its bad then find leak?

Yes - I loosen the bottom plug carefully but not all the way...let a little trickle out. Its messy and smells terirble. Should look like honey...not milkshake. It may have some darkness to it if its been in there forever. in that case Id drain and refill and check again after a couple runs. Sometimes theres little air bubbles that fool people if you check it soon after running. But if its been sitting a while they wont be there.

Back