Logo

Classic Boat and Motor

Merc400Man

Just bought a 1966 fiberglass classic with a 1960 Mercury 400 on it (45Hp). I got the motor running but no water pumping so I shut it back down and ordered parts from MarineEngine.com.

How do I connect with the classic crowd on this forum? Anyone have experience with the old Cloud White Mercurys?

PS: I would post pics, but couldn't get it to work.

Doug (Merc400Man)

Jeff - I checked out Johnsoldmercurysite.com and am definately going to join - thanks for the tip.

Kim - Yea, I like the look of it too. Although those old red racing motors are pretty awsome. If I can figure out how to get a photobucket, I'll definately upload some pics. The motor is in good enough shape, that I only plan to clean it up good for now - no repainting.

Racerone - any general care and maintenance tips? Once I get my new impeller in, and bottom end seals, is it better to reassemble with the hand throttle and the lower unit in neutral, or throttle/lower unit in forward gear? (This is my first boat, so please bear with the newbie questions.)

A strategically located bungee cord to take up some of the weight makes installation a LOT easier. (Some do the job with the motor upside down.)

Jeff

PS: I use forward after having it jump into forward on its own. Be sure to take ALL of the slack out of the LU shifter shaft or it will trick you.

Kimcwbr1 - after seeing how the shifter cam operates, I think your suggestion makes sense. The reverse lock cams are the two discs that fit over the shift shaft? Wondered what those were for. I did mark them before dissassembly so I could get them back in correctly.

fastjeff - I like your bungee cord idea. I also have a 17 year old who is usually glued to a video game about 12 hours a day. I've found this boat project is a good way to spend a little time with him. Maybe I'll have him be the bungee cord - no need to tell him that of course. By all the slack, I assume you mean rotate counterclockwise until its right up against the neutral lobe on the cam?

Kimcrbr1 - Everything you are saying makes sense. I was able to get a feel for the profile on the cam by peering down into the bottom of the lower unit after removing the Prop shaft. I wasn't smart enough to just go on Ebay! (If anyone needs a design for the special tool for removing the cover plate on the lower unit or the impeller cover, just let me know. I made one for each location.)

Still waiting on a couple of seals for the lower gearbox and then I'm going to give it a try. Sounds like getting everything to line up is the tricky bit. Do you put sealant around the front part of the housing where the shifter shaft sits. Mine had some goo and water in there when I took it apart. (I know the back portion is open to the air/water anyway.)

Back