Logo

pull start to elec. start

WPM27

I have a 2011 15hp Merc. 4-stroke outboard with a pull rope start. It has teeth on flywheel and starter mount and a place for starter switch. Can I put a starter on this motor? Is there a kit for this? If not is there a part list?

Yep, there's an electric start conversion kit from Mercury, comes with starter motor, solenoid, neutral safety switch, and all brackets and wiring. Some kits also come with the charge coil. You will need your serial number to select the correct kit.

If you go the Merc route don't feint when they quote a price somewhere in the 500 buck range.

I would shop around...

Electric start kits are only available from Merc- most of the parts contained in the kit aren't available as aftermarket. Call a Merc dealer with your serial number for the correct kit and pricing.

True, but a Tohatsu kit may fit - they built the motor after all, and their prices are somewhat less than Merc's, at least for parts/pieces

May be cheaper in the long run to trade it in/ sell it and buy an electric.

That said, all you need is the starter, the correct flywheel, and a bit of ingenuity. Any automotive solenoid (mounted in the boat) will work, and a small lawn mower battery will start it dozens of times without a recharge.

Jeff

Back