Logo

new impeller not letrting it pee ??

DANNYCWAY

I have a 2001 yamaha 3.1l 200 vmax, i just replaced the impelloer and still not peeing , any thoughts on what might be wrong. Thanks danny

It could just be the tell tale outlet being blocked. Try using a paperclip or something to clear the outlet. If you remove the thermostat, is water coming out? If so then you have water pumping through the impeller okay and the blockage is further along. Sometimes using air and water to flush the cooling system backwards can get it flowing again.

Stuart

I have a 2001 yamaha 3.1l 200 vmax, i just replaced the impelloer and still not peeing , any thoughts on what might be wrong. Thanks danny

Is this motor in saltwater? Is the motor overheating? If so, the water jackets could be plugged with salt buildup. Run the motor and check each cylinder with a infra red temp gauge. Operating temp should be between 140-165 degrees, the alarm comes on when temps are between 183-195 degrees. If clogged water jackets is the problem, the jackets should be removed and the water channel would have to be cleaned.

Hey solinsky , it a fresh water motor. New impeeler kit ect... Im going to check the poppet valve tomorrow, maybe its clogged , but doesnt make any since , whike winterizing it was peeing fine.

hey solinsky , it a fresh water motor. New impeeler kit ect... Im going to check the poppet valve tomorrow, maybe its clogged , but doesnt make any since , whike winterizing it was peeing fine.
would a stuck shut thermostate cause it not to pee thru the tell tale?

After you check the Tale tail for a blockage, (Just a guess) Toss out the rectangular muffs you are using and get the cheap round ones. For somereason (shape of lower housing) They are not Yamaha friendly.

Did you have the lock ring on top of your water pump impeller?

There's also a water hose hook up on the side of the motor, ran it thru thatand it flowed fine thru thr telltale. When i haad the lower unit out again i ran water up thru the water pick-up tube and it ran out the telltale wide open , im just out of thhings to try.

OK the(lock) Nylon taper and steel ring are in place. Under the lock ring on top of the impeller there flat and spring washers, are they in place?

Did you change the whole pump or just the impeller? Who makes the parts that you purchased?

Thanks for getting back with me , ok evrything is in place all i changed was the housing impeller plate and gasket water pickup tube grommet.all parts were yamaha oem.

Time to pull the lower and check your work. You need to use adhesive when putting this pump together, Bellows adhesive works well. And lube.

Something is out of place in the pump. Impeller could not be tight enough against the wear plate, keyway could be missing, cover gasket out of place, ECT......

Last edited:
I just did mine and after i reinstalled everything no water . dropped the LU again and everything was correct. so instead of using the muffs I went to the river and everything worked fine. tried it again at home and no water. bottom line, i wasn't supplying the engine with enough water. I do have crappy water pressure and used the rectangle muffs and lost a lot of water. Go to a body of water and try it, you may be glad you did.

kevin

Back