Logo

1988 aquad 41

jmac5058

Thinking about buying a 28' Pilot House with a Aquad 41 with a 290 s drive , is this combo worth my effort and money . The motor and drive has low hours and looks mint , the boat itself needs work but thats another thing . Any info would be great .

Thanks Jeff

Great combo if it is all in good running order.
Parts are expensive and add up fast if needed.
Easy on fuel .
I have over 6,000 hours on my engines, no major work.
Some outdrive repairs but most of that is from abuse.

Thanks Castle , if there are things I need to look for please let me know . This motor has around 400 hours and has been sitting for many years , is there a way to turn the motors oil pump ( like I see them do to new motors on T.V ) to make sure there is proper lube all around the motor before starting ?

Can you run it, test drive it? See how it runs , smoke, vibrate,. I would put a new impeller in the raw water pump. I don't know of an easy way to pre lube it.
The drive should have a dip stick on top, see what the oil looks like. It should have been stored with fresh oil .

He can get it to fire up but wont keep running because of injectors . That is the part that scares me , there is proper fuel pressure up to the injectors . I have looked into a set of reman injectors and seem reasonably priced , but the new injector pump price made me pucker . Is the changing of the injectors an easy job and what do I need to be careful of when doing it .

What state are you in? Seattle Injector does a nice job of rebuilding injectors and fuel injection pumps. If you are on the left coast.
Injectors, you will need an injector puller, from Volvo Penta, crazy money for what it is.
They can come out easy or a nightmare, I have twin AQAD41A 's , last May I pulled all 12 injectors, 10 came out easy, 2 others were a nightmare, one I ruined completely, big mi$take. Also bent and ruined the puller since it is basically made out of conduit. Stuck injectors is not uncommon on these engines .

I found Oregon Fuel Injection , is that the place you mean ? I am on the East coast ( Mass. sorry about the Super Bowl ... Not ) and the prices for rebuilding injectors are very reasonable and shipping them there is cheap enough . The seller has had the injectors out so removing them should be easy he made the tool for removing and will spend a day showing me about the boat and motor . Going to meet with him next Friday to check it out and unless I hear or see some alarming things Im going to buy the boat . Can I post pictures on here from my phone without being a computer expert .

Back