Logo

Rinda Techmate Scan Tool Compatibility.

Neil Mitchell

I have a 2012 Mercury 4 stroke, 60HP non bigfoot. I have had a couple of small issues with the EFI so decided to buy a Rinda Technologies Techmate scantool-standard. PT # 94040 with the latest ver 6 software. While this may seem like an over kill, I live in a very isolated place 2500 miles south of Hawaii. Mercury service centers are 2000 miles away in NZ. I am an old school mechanic and have worked on and repaired all manor of marine engines for over 45 years.
My engine runs fine for the most part but occasionally will run hot with limiting revs being the result. 400 hours service. Well maintained.
I used my new scan tool today for the first time. While it seemed to run through most of it's menus and options without bother, (during bootup for want of better words), it would not go further than "smartcraft PCM" as it would not communicate or identify with my motors ECM, telling me to check the cable connections. This I have obviously done a number of times. I can therefore not check any engine data stored or anything for that matter. The scan tool is connected to the wiring loom via a 4 wire plug which came with the scan tool. I have followed all instructions in the users guide and outboard engine supplement provided to the letter but this scan tool just refuses to talk to my ECM. I note that my ECM has a part number of 8M0059789. I also note that the manuel says the scan tool will "attempt" to comunicate.
My question: Is my new scan tool compatible with this ECM?
My ECM looks identical in shape to a Merc ECM-555, although mine does have a slightly different plug.
Any suggestions re scan tool?
Thank you.

Hi there, did you buy the scan tool direct from Rind Technologies? Yes the tool is compatible with your engine model. Should have Adapter part #94006 which fits 40hp, 50hp, 60hp, (ECM-555) (2006-10) < and up I'm sure.

Be sure the scan cable/cord is not laying across any spark plug wires as that will interfere with communications. I'm sure you tried starting the engine just to be sure even though you shouldn't have to.

The following link is a manual to the tool for outboard, it's probably the same as you have but just in case, here it is again. http://www.rinda.com/acro/outboard_supplement_v6.pdf

Page 6 shows you all that you should be able to read.

Besides the ECM part number, does the ECM say smart craft somewhere on it?

If the tool won't go past the smart craft setup and into the RPM history then there is a good chance you may have a defective scan tool. You'd be the second or third forum member to where I've read ended up with a bad unit from new. You'll want to try and call Rind Tech next week and explain your situation.

Let us know, good luck.

4) After the scan tool displays its initial opening messages, use the up and down keys to display the “Mercury Outboard” operating mode from the main menu, then press the YES key to select it. Next, select "Smartcraft PCM".
Obtaining Data After selecting the “Smartcraft PCM” function the scan tool will attempt to communicate with the engine’s fuel injection computer and automatically identify it. After an identification is made you will be presented with several menu choices as follows:
PCM Data Fault History RPM History PCM System Info PCM Functions
To obtain diagnostic data and system trouble codes, select the “PCM Data” function. This menu choice causes the scanner to begin reading information from the PCM module. The scanner will prompt for your input as follows:
1) Selecting the “PCM Data“ function causes the scanner to communicate with the engine’s PCM control module and automatically provide you with the number of Operating Hours the engine has logged.
2) Once the engine operating hours have been displayed, the scanner will prompt you to display any currently stored system faults. Selecting YES will cause the scanner to interrogate the PCM’s “Fault Memory”. If any faults are present, their descriptions will be displayed.

Thank you for your reply boat_tech.
[FONT=&quot]Mercruiser TechMate Scan Tool, Version 6 with PCM-555 Adapter (94006) - 94040[/FONT]
I have done exactly as you have outlined and get to page 6 but the scan tool won't go past "smartcraft ECM" which I believe to be the direction/root I must take. I bought this off Michigan Motorz, Madison Heights, MI 48071. It was through their Ebay shop I do believe. I have used scan tools before with respect to OBCD2 on vehicles so consider myself to be an advanced user. Yes, boat_tech, I too am under the impression now that I may have a faulty unit.
As I live outside of the USA, do forum members think it would be better to contact Rinda Technologies direct rather than Michigan Motorz?
If anyone else can offer a possible problem/solution I would like to hear from you. It has been a big hassle just to get this unit shipped to me here in the Cook Islands and no doubt is going to be a major undertaking if I have to get it back for warranty claim.

Thank you all.

Just an update. the Techmate scan tool as described above will not work on 2010/11 and up Mercuries. Apparently Mercury changed the way it's computers worked and stored info on the PCM. Totally different setup and not compatable. They did away with the 4 wire plug and went for a different setup altogether. My fault and not blaming anyone. I guess I should have read the fine print a bit better although I think I was thrown a little bit of a curved ball when I read the the scan tool software could be "upgraded". I have been advised I need a Techmate Scantool ProC. Not avaiable though until May I do beleive the Rinda rep said.

Back