Logo

What greases and sealants do you use? Outdrive/Gaskets/Cables/O-Rings/Etc

enginesilo

Contributing Member
I grabbed myself a tube of the 2-4-C grease, and the Extreme Grease last year since I was using generic grease before. Is the 2-4-C grease good for most spots in the outdrive and engine? Good for putting a thin coat on o-rings and such when doing repairs?

How about Perfect Seal on the gaskets? I haven't got this one yet but I am doing my impeller this year and I read in the manual it said the gasket should get a nice coat of this. Is this what you guys use? I read on another forum a long time respected member swore by aviation gasket maker and said it did just as good of a job. I already have some Permatex® Super “300” Form-A-Gasket, can I use this in place of Perfect Seal? The Perfect Seal container is gigantic and doubt I'd use that up in a few lifetimes.

How about on the screws and bolts that connect the upper to the lower unit? Another member I saw used an AquaLube grease of some sort. Can I use the 2-4-C or the Extreme Grease on those bolts? Mine had a bunch of salt water powder in the threads so I want to be sure I grease these bolts before I reinstall.

Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:
Perfect seal is used on external O-rings that seal to the housing, Sometimes on screw threads, it is NOT typically used on a paper type gaskets as it can cause them to get saturated and tear easily. There may be some gaskets that may use it but most gasket are used dry.

The grease is used to coat the seal surfaces and corresponding shaft surfaces so as not to damage the seals when sliding them over possibly sharp surfaces.
Also to lubricate internal o-rings that may be used to seal against a rotating or moving shaft such as the shift shaft

I am sure the Permatex® Super “300” Form-A-Gasket will work just fine.

As far as the bolts/screws any kind of lubricant is better than none. Although the screws are stainless steel they do oxidize heavily so coating them with a water proof grease or perfect seal will hinder that oxidation.

There may be other brands of perfect seal type goop around but I just use perfect seal so Not sure what else.

Last edited:
Back