Logo

Oil drain plug washer

Well; looks like I need you guys again. Once again; something simple has turned out to be more complicated than I had hoped.

My mechanic serviced my motor during the winter (boat was stored inside warm and toasty). Of course, the motor oil was changed (sae 10w30 engine oil).
The boat sat indoors for 3 months and not a drop of oil under her. I took her out of storage and backed the trailer into the water (didn't take boat off trailer). Because we changed all the filters, I just wanted to start it and run her for a few minutes.
When I shut off the motor and tilted her back up, there was a nice shine on the water:(
I noticed a small amount of engine oil came out of the side plate (covering the drain plug).
When I got home, I removed the cover and could see where it was leaking around the drain plug. The washer appears to be torn.

Easy enough fix. I called my honda dealer and told him I needed a new washer for my oil drain plug. No problem, they are in stock and come pick it up. I have to cross a bridge ($4 each way) to pick up an 82 cent washer.
When I looked at the washer, it was a white nylon washer. I told my dealer this didn't look like the one in the motor (still screwed in the motor). He said, this is the one the mechanic said he uses and he grabbed it off the shelf himself.
Ok, the dealer and mechanic know more than I do:)

I get it home, and before installing it, I look closely at the one in the motor again. I'm convinced this is wrong. I look online and sure enough, this nylon washer is for the lower unit gear case drain plug.

So today; I call another honda dealer and they are out of drain plug washers because they have been doing so many spring tune ups. He has 2 dozen on order due in tomorrow or Saturday, I can wait.
I ask him what the part number is for this piece. He says 90601-ze2-000. I come home and look it up and it says this number is obsolete.

What the heck. How difficult can it be to get a drain plug washer? What is the proper number and is it a rubber o-ring or felt washer?
2011 BF225 Honda

Next question. When I pull this drain plug out, is oil going to gush out. Or, if I keep the dipstick in, and the oil fill plug in, will this create a partial suction and oil will only drip out slowly?

Thanks for reading all of this.
5th

That is the correct number for the oil drain washer for a 225. It is a metal washer.

All Honda outboards above 20 HP use this same washer.

It is still available in the USA.

It is probably going to be messy changing it. Leaving the dipstick in will help some, by the crankcase is ventilated.

The oil will come out very fast and hard unless it is very cold.

Probably the easiest way to change it is to drain the oil into a clean pan, put the washer on and put the oil back in the engine.

If you wanted to try a shortcut, turning the engine to port all the way and raising the engine up all the way will take some of the pressure off. You will have to put your finger or someone else's finger over the hole, change the washer and reinsert the bolt. Although i question the success.

Good luck!

Mike

Just change your oil AGAIN. It won't hurt but will probably actually help remove a small amount of contaminants. If you try and "save" a couple of quarts of oil you are likely just going to create a big mess where ever you do the work and there is the DISTINCT possibility of getting some sort of contaminate in the oil and inadvertently introducing it into your very expensive engine's crankcase.

If it were me and I couldn't find the right one I would find an ACE hardware store (or any MANLY MANS hardware store) and take the drain plug with me. I would find or, ask someone to find for me, a COPPER CRUSH WASHER that would fit the plug snugly. They have been used forever to seal crankcase drain screws with GREAT success.

After all, we ain't buildin' a watch here.

But, then again, I do KNOW a guy that can cross thread ANY bolt, screw or nut you hand him. So, I wouldn't let HIM touch it! :~)

Good luck.

Hey Guys;
Again, thanks for all the great advice. This is such a minor (but frustrating) issue that I didn't want to call my mechanic over something this simple. My motor is still under warranty and I wanted to use Honda OP just so there wouldn't be any issues.
I was trying to get this done yesterday when we had 50* weather (today it's snowing and may get several inches in Maryland). I eventually called him to ask if I could use a Yamaha drain washer (I have several Yammy dealers near me). He said that while I could, he will be running all over the area working on motors, so he would prefer stopping by and either change out the whole plug (washer and bolt) or as you said, just change the oil a second time and using new hardware.
Since it's snowing, I will be waiting until he gets here on Saturday :)

Great forum for information.
5th

I just have ONE question.....How in the world do you afford a boat after having sent FIVE kids through college??? Or, is that all just your advanced degrees? ;~)

Good luck with the plug.

LOL
Only four tuitions!! After my son (our youngest) graduated college, I figured we made due spending tuition money for all those years, I may as well keep spending it:)
He graduated in May, my new boat was delivered in June (hence "5th Tuition"). I have since purchased another boat, but kept the name because that's what everyone knows me by.
5th (Marty)

Well, I've done a couple of tuitions myself and I can say it's been money well spent. So, goodonya for workin a boat or TWO in there! ha ha!

Back