Logo

honda bf90d servicing

Kirill Dremov

Hello,

I am going to try servicing my engine myself for the first time:) Just wanted to get some advice from your guys. Engine is from 2008 and been serviced every year by various mechanics. I think it has done in total only 200-250h. I am planning to change all the oils and oil filter, i think i will just check petrol filter (not going to change it this time). Should i check something else as well? Does it make sense to check impeller this time?

thank you for your tips!

K

You did not say if this motor is new to you. Also, you did not say if you had all the records of maintenance or know exactly what was done.

If the engine is new to you and you do not know for sure what was done, i would do at least the following....

Change engine oil and filter (As you intend to do)
Change the gear lube and washers (As you intend to do)
Change the low and high pressure fuel filters
If you have a separate water separating fuel filter (which you should)....change the filter element.
Change the impeller. Ideally, order the rebuild kit, but at least change the impeller kit. If you are going through the effort to take down the lower unit, you should just go ahead and change it.
Change the spark plugs.
Check the thermostats (especially if you are in salt water) There are two thermostats

Grease all the lube fittings Lubricate other spots as indicated in the owner's manual.

Oh! You do not have a manual....here you go.... http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZY96100.pdf

In general....if you do not know for sure what is new or changed, once you change it, you will know all main items are good and you have a solid starting point for future use.

Mike

You did not say if this motor is new to you. Also, you did not say if you had all the records of maintenance or know exactly what was done.

If the engine is new to you and you do not know for sure what was done, i would do at least the following....

Change engine oil and filter (As you intend to do)
Change the gear lube and washers (As you intend to do)
Change the low and high pressure fuel filters
If you have a separate water separating fuel filter (which you should)....change the filter element.
Change the impeller. Ideally, order the rebuild kit, but at least change the impeller kit. If you are going through the effort to take down the lower unit, you should just go ahead and change it.
Change the spark plugs.
Check the thermostats (especially if you are in salt water) There are two thermostats

Grease all the lube fittings Lubricate other spots as indicated in the owner's manual.

Oh! You do not have a manual....here you go.... http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZY96100.pdf

In general....if you do not know for sure what is new or changed, once you change it, you will know all main items are good and you have a solid starting point for future use.

Mike

Thank you Mike for your help!

I have all the manuals!

I have owned the motor for 2 years now, but do not really know what has been done to it, so i will try to check everything you mentioned, not sure if my skill will allow that though:) At least checking the impeller should be a straightforward task, not sure if i will succeed but i will give it a try:)

thanks ones more!

Here is a good step by step. Pretty easy.

Attachments

• ml.repaw05v.marine_-_water_pump_replacement_for_bf75d__bf90d_outboard_motors.pdf
    286.8 KB · Views: 303
Back