Logo

10hp or 7.5hp- What's supposed to be in the breather bowl?

jduck1

Contributing Member
Cleaning up a couple BF75 and BF100 motors. Under the fly wheel is a black bowl with tub coming in and out. Breather and bowl. What's supposed to be inside the bowl?
Clean and dry?
Some dirt/grim oil?
Milky liquid?

One bowl has oily condensation looking substance the other has milky looking liquid inside.

What's that say about each motor?

I would consider oily residue with some water content....condensate....normal. I don't think you can necessarily do any "tea leaf" reading as to the health of the engine based on the content of the crankcase vent bowl...unless it was sloshing with oil or water or both.

These are COOL running engines and one may have been running a bit cooler than the other. IE: the "extra" condensate. That or one did short trips and never reached operating temp.

There will always be a bit of oil "vapor" getting to the bowl on all but the most tightly sealed (newish) engines.

If the engine is run at an above idle throttle setting for a reasonable amount of time, you could expect not to find any condensate at all in the vent bowl. But, these engines are routinely used in short spurts in cool water and condensation in the crankcase is inevitable. That and they are typically not maintained very well and the thermostats may not have been replaced in DECADES.

If you are truly curious about engine health, nothing I know of beats a compression test followed by a cylinder leak down to see where the pressure is escaping.

But, here's a bit of sage advice I was given MANY moon ago by a wise and storied old mechanical genius:

"BOY if an engine starts up easily and idles smoothly.....it is basically SOUND.

So, you could go by that too.

Back