Logo

Removing OMC Cobra outdrive off transom

Hi Guys, it has been a long while since I last posted, but...rather than swim through the seeming everlasting flotsam of past posts for days, I will just ask a question I am sure has been answered before. I have owned 2 OMC cobras but never removed a Cobra outdrive off the transom. I have done several Mercs...piece of cake, but not a Cobra. I have a Ford 302 HO V8 in my 20foot Reinell cuddy that has been Massaged a bit beyond my real needs, but it does put a silly smile on my face. Both hydraulic lines for the trim/tilt lifts are worn and the steel braid is showing, so I need to replace them, on a Merc it's a 15 min job, but does not look to be that simple on a Cobra, it appears the outdrive must come off. That being said, while it is off, what other parts "should" I replace while it is off, just because "it's a good idea" too. I will give the U joints a good look while off, but the drive is in good condition otherwise. I am a pretty good shade tree mechanic, and do all my own work, so I am up to snuff there. Just looking for some good advice from some OMC lifer's. So far I have given my share of blood and passed many a torque fart working on this boat.., and before I forget, how much does a Cobra outdrive weigh off a 302 V8..., if it is similar to a merc alpa one, then I'll just use my Armstrong lift. Thanks in advance.

Rick

If they aren't leaking why replace?
If you have to tear it apart, then yes it's very similar to a mercruiser.. If you wish to replace the inner hydraulic lines, then taking the engine out is the best pathway

Here's the deal, these are the outdrive hydraulic trim tilt lines, they have the steel braid showing, it has frayed in places and is rubbing against the lower part of the transom housing. I used to be a mill wright, and when lines became even cracked we changed them out. If I were to have a "pop" inspection by the Coast Guard they would strongly "suggest" that I repair that ASAP. So in short they need to be changed, and since it appears that the outdrive has to be removed to do the job, I thought I would ask that since it is off, if there are another parts that should be changed while it is off. That's all, nothing too hard; But I can't see taking the engine out to change these out drive hydraulic lines.

Well if you're pulling the drive then you should install new bellows and lower shift cable. Check the condition of the pivot bearings.

Back