Logo

gas in oil

WBrianS

I have a 2007 Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke outboard. While at the lake I suddenly lost power, I later discovered that I had gas in my oil when I checked the oil level. I also found that I had a bad fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump, changed the oil and took it back out, for about 30 minutes it ran fine then it lost power again and I still have gas getting in the oil. I am also loosing fuel pressure in the line from the tank to the motor when running. When it is not running it does not loose pressure at all even after a few weeks of sitting. I am planning on taking it to a mechanic but wanted to see if I could find some more info here first. Thanks.

Have you done a compression test on this motor? It is possible that the rings are very worn and fuel is getting past them, it is also possible that the valve guides are worn and fuel is getting up into the rocker cover. Is this was happening though it would undoubtedly be blowing a lot of smoke. The other possibility is that it is leaking from the fuel pump into the rocker cover and draining down into the sump from there. The fuel pump is driving off one of the cam lobes and there will no doubt be a seal between that may have failed.

Stuart

Have you done a compression test on this motor? It is possible that the rings are very worn and fuel is getting past them, it is also possible that the valve guides are worn and fuel is getting up into the rocker cover. Is this was happening though it would undoubtedly be blowing a lot of smoke. The other possibility is that it is leaking from the fuel pump into the rocker cover and draining down into the sump from there. The fuel pump is driving off one of the cam lobes and there will no doubt be a seal between that may have failed.

Stuart
No I haven't I'll check on all that thanks for your time.

Back