Logo

repower with mercury 150 hp fourstoke?

Robert1101

I own a 1999 21 ft Robalo CC, and I am considering repowering with a new Merc 150 four stoke. Boats dry weight is approx 2450 lbs. Does anyone have any personal experience with such a scenario. Mercury post performance test results that suggest 150 hp would be adequate.

It had a Mercury 200hp EFI, it had been giving me trouble, one fix after another and finally a bearing on crankshaft failed. Considered rebuilding but motor is 15 yrs old, just decided to repower. 200hp was more than enough power, actually never had a need to go WOT. Hoping someone had some real life experience with Mercury 150 4 stroke.

It had a Mercury 200hp EFI, it had been giving me trouble, one fix after another and finally a bearing on crankshaft failed. Considered rebuilding but motor is 15 yrs old, just decided to repower. 200hp was more than enough power, actually never had a need to go WOT. Hoping someone had some real life experience with Mercury 150 4 stroke.

I don't with that boat but the rule of thumb when going from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke is you want to increase HP. By going down in HP you will likely be very unhappy.

The reason for this is 4-strokes do not have as nice of a HP/torque curve for getting out of the hole, ie they create the HP and torque at a much higher RPM. This is apparent when you look at the operating range of a 4-stroke, contrary to what you expect they run a higher RPM at full throttle and on a cruise.. I think the reason for this is basically to get all that power out of a reasonably light 4-stroke it needs to rev more.

What you would likely notice going from a 200 HP EFI (really nice performing engine) to a 200 HP 4-stroke is hole shot will decrease. They call them "4 pokes" for a reason :) - going down to only 150 HP and you will really see the difference, it will be a big negative.

So, if you like 4-strokes I would look at 225 HP 4-strokes (which adds a ton of weight) or go with the simple solution - a fuel injected 2-stroke like an Optimax or E-Tec. I'm not a big fan of the 4-strokes so wouldn't even consider it, they burn the same fuel, aren't any more reliable, do not perform well, and just weigh a whole lot more. At idle a 4-stroke is definitely quieter though, however under power many are louder than 2-stroke counterparts.

Jon

Thanks for responding, sounds accurate, thanks again.

Whichever engine you choose, consider the engine family.

For instance if you favored power to weight (for instance if your scuppers are a little low or the boat didn't handle the weight of the previous 200 well), they make an E-Tec 200 HP High Output (lighter smaller 200 HP)... Or the Optimax 175 (which is the largest HP in a 2.5 Liter available)..

Or if you wanted to get the most reliability possible, shoot for something that is more de-tuned, ie the middle or the bottom of the engine family - for instance in an Optimax the 200 HP is the bottom end of the 3.0L family.. In the middle of the 2.5L family you would be looking at a 150 HP (bottom is a 135HP).

Jon

Weight is not really an issue, boat handled 200 efi just fine, $$ is more of the issue, not ready to spend 15-20K or new motor on used boat. I like boat and have a lot of time invested (rebuilt transom and deck 2 yrs ago). Mercury 150 available for 12-13K, motor, controls, SS prop, gauges, tax and 5 yr warranty. Yamaha and Suzuki 2-3K more. Have been kinda hooked on 4stroke but maybe I should price the Optimax??

Weight is not really an issue, boat handled 200 efi just fine, $$ is more of the issue, not ready to spend 15-20K or new motor on used boat. I like boat and have a lot of time invested (rebuilt transom and deck 2 yrs ago). Mercury 150 available for 12-13K, motor, controls, SS prop, gauges, tax and 5 yr warranty. Yamaha and Suzuki 2-3K more. Have been kinda hooked on 4stroke but maybe I should price the Optimax??

If you are sure 150 HP is gonna be enough that'd be a great choice I'm sure... I'd probably look at the 200 HP Opti real hard though given you do not care about the extra weight. That is the bigger displacement engine de-tuned but still with the larger lower unit, larger water pump, etc. etc..

I repowered my 26 ft. Seawolf with a pair of Opti 150's back in 2006. It worked out real nice as I've gotten many fairly trouble-free years out of them and they are still going strong. The project was about $24K including gauges/rigging/labor/props. What I've been through with them in that time and 800 hours is as follows. Keep in mind I own 2 of them.

#1 Water pump - they really need new water pump impellers every year and a full cooling system maintenance every 3 years I'd say (ie t-stats and poppet valves). Basically the cooling systems are setup such that if anything becomes neglected you will get an overheat alarm, unlike the older engines where you could go 5 years without giving it any thought, these need yearly maintenance to be trouble-free. Its not very hard or expensive but does need to be done. It took me awhile to succumb to this idea that the water pump impellers take a "set" over time and simply require yearly replacement, ie I'd get a temp alarm and it would cause stress/anxiety when all I needed to do to avoid it was replace the damn things in the spring instead of waiting until August.

#2 Plugs - they take iridium plugs, which should be replaced every few years, and are kinda a pain to replace. At an auto parts store they are about 12 bucks a piece - probably takes the average person 2 hours to replace plugs and requires the lower cowl to be removed (ie best done when you do the poppet valve).

#3 Issues I've had to date, a couple problems with kinked hoses (both fuel and cooling) that came up after moving things around for other maintenance, one air injector failure (a $400 part, was $100 on Ebay, easy to find/replace, Smartcraft told me on the screen it had an "injector fault"), 2 X TPS failures (about $150 and a quick fix, same deal Smartcraft told me what was wrong), one alternator I replaced because I thought it might be making a noise (was like $100 for a refurb one) and the most major thing now I blew a lower unit :( - which sucks but is not an Optimax issue rather one common to outboards.

Opti's do use ALOT of oil. They run nice on Penzoil XLF, which is about $20/gallon (half the cost of Mercury DFI Oil), but you can plan on burning at least 50:1 all the time and I swear I see them burning 40:1 on my boat.

On the bright side they run better than my car and are great on fuel, 7 gallons an hour at 3700 RPM (per engine) is my approximate fuel burn, at idle it's like half a gallon an hour, trolling at 1000 RPM is .75/engine. Overall they have been very reliable and trouble-free for the duty and length of time I've had them. They also perform very well, are very quiet, and smoke waay less than anything non-fuel-injected. You just turn the key and they start like your car, let them warm up a minute to be nice, then go.

At the time when I bought mine I might have gone with E-Tec's, except back in 2006 there were both supply and longevity questions with Bombardier as a company - nobody knew if they would make it. If I ever re-powered again I'd probably stick with the Opti's since I know the beast but would again research the E-Tec as they get good reviews too.

Anyway, so #1 no matter what you do, be sure to call around and check online prices. You might be able to order a brand new engine in the crate and pay to have it installed for thousands less than the same dealership will charge you for the entire package. Some dealerships really do not like to do repowers or sell "loose" outboards, they will throw out quotes that are way off. Others specialize in repowers and really want your business. I got quotes for my 24K repower that were as high as 30K for the exact same thing.

Jon

Great info Jon, I have heard a lot of good reviews on the Optimax, I live in south Louisiana and the Optimax is very popular and very common here, will have to price them next week. Have also seen better prices online but am skeptical of purchasing something of that price online. Will have to do some research. Thanks again.

Great info Jon, I have heard a lot of good reviews on the Optimax, I live in south Louisiana and the Optimax is very popular and very common here, will have to price them next week. Have also seen better prices online but am skeptical of purchasing something of that price online. Will have to do some research. Thanks again.

It's funny I was just watching alligator hunting down in that area and one boat had a 115 Opti w/a tiller (that's alot of HP for a tiller!)..

I'm in NH and fish the NH/MA/ME coast.

tunaRifRaff.jpg

Couldn't you just get a rebuilt powerhead?

I've thought about ordering an Opti from Jacos in Tennessee to repower my boat, They would be sort of close to you,...

Awesome Tuna!! I was planning to order new power head or rework the one I had, damage was minimal per visual inspection. But once I put a pencil to the numbers and considered the motor had been giving me trouble (oil alarm module, idle stabilizer module, switch boxes, to name a few ) and the motor is 15 years old. Just does not add up for me. Motor is disassembled and I still have all the parts so it is still an option I sometimes consider. If you have not figured it out yet I am quite confused as to what I want to do to get my boat running again.:confused: Rebuild? Repower with used motor? Repower with new motor? What kind of motor? What size motor? I plan to keep digging until something feels right, I guess thats how I ended up on this forum....

A rebuilt powerhead is a good option - actually it's very cost effective and time efficient when you look at aftermarket prices for a refurbished top end. On Ebay I see them in the $2500 range with good stories (ie new bearings, pistons, rings, etc..) and warranties. A shop that specializes in refurbishing is going to crank out a really good product, much better than what most of us can do in our garage.

The downside is you aren't really getting a whole bunch of reliability by changing a powerhead, that's actually the part that breaks the least. You'd still be running with all the aging electrical and fuel parts, as well as the gearcase. Plus you better figure out what killed it in the first place.

On my 26 foot that fishes commercially and runs all over the place with 2 engines, I stripped a crank on one, looked at the other engine and saw it was going to strip a crank too, both engines had good compression but some cylinder scoring, so the practical repair for me would've been 5K (2 refurbished blocks)... I thought about how much I liked the boat, the cost of fuel and savings of going fuel injected versus running the old carbed engines, some other little bugs I hadn't quite figured out, and the payment for financing the 24K project. To me it made sense to spring for a complete repower. I went years without any issues, now I've had a few but I've still got a nice reliable set of engines that have been maintained and treated the way I like.

On my 16 foot center console, that is used in the commercial striped bass fishery, but doesn't even make it's way out into open water, I went for the refurbished powerhead approach. Fuel isn't an issue because it's only got 1 engine and doesn't go too far; reliability isn't an issue because without going too far it barely gets used enough to really break, and if it does I've got a spare. Now if I have a $20,000 striper season you never know I may just spring for something new and shiny - but I doubt it, will probably run carbed engines until either I wreck or sell the boat.

Jon

I agree with you totally, if I go through the trouble of rebuilding I would probable replace a lot of the electrical,( stator, trigger) maybe coils. Probably spend at least 5K on rebuild. I am not a mechanic but I manage to do most of the work my self, so it would take me some time to complete. Honestly, if I went through all this trouble and something else went wrong I would be quite disappointed to say the least. Also, as you said , I would still have to identify the original problem. On the other hand there is the "new and shiny" factor with 5-6 year warranty. Boat is paid for so the note would not be too bad. When I bought the boat about 3 years ago I did not intend to invest so much $$ on boating/fishing, I think thats whats holding me back from purchasing a new motor now. I am working my way up to it , mentally, I think I am almost there.

Back