Logo

Shift Shaft/Bushing leaking under pressure-Need Advice

enginesilo

Contributing Member
I did a pressure test on my outdrive (Alpha 1 Gen 2) as 1 piece (Upper and Lower still attached) and I have a very slow leak at the shift shaft. I'm guessing the shift shaft seal is not supposed to leak at all, correct? Can I change out just the seals in the shift shaft bushing area, or should I just change the entire thing? Is this the part number to change?
-815921A13 (An online part diagram said this is the proper one)
-23-805041A2 (I think this is for an older model outdrive maybe)

Any tips on how to change it? I read that you must set the drive in forward gear, bind the prop so it can't move, and then unscrew the 2 screws and pull out the bushing assembly with the shift shaft. You then need to reinstall the pieces making sure not to knock the drive out of gear.

So can I change just the gaskets, or is it smart to just change out the entire bushing which includes the new gaskets/seals/etc?

Thanks for the help!

Yes I do have the manual and read that section. The section of the manual is extremely basic and from what I understood just said remove the 2 screws, pull out, and replace. I read on a few forum posts where people talked more about the shifting and binding up the prop to keep it in gear. So any extra details that the manual was lacking is what I'm after.

I just looked around at the part number and I think the part I need may be the 805041A2, which I think I read has replaced the one my part diagram said.

Any tips appreciated.

Back