Logo

BF150A Spark Plug Torque Specs??

mlc

Hello All,

I was doing the beginning of the season maintenance and was replacing the spark plugs. The book calls for 13 ft lbs. which is NOT much and when I removed the old ones they could be loosened with basically two fingers on the wrench. I put the new ones in with like 18 or 19 ft lbs. to be a little safe. Nothing worse then having a plug back out. I have an S2000 and this is a known issue that the OEM spec is to low.

So what say the experts....13 ft lbs to low???

All the NGK sparkplugs I have used have had a number of degrees (turns) specified. From memory it is something like finger tight and then half a turn if the crush washer is new and finger tight and quarter turn if used. Something like that anyway but I'm pretty sure it is on the packet. I've never bothered to get the torque wrench out and see what it translates to.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I looked on the box and you were right, it show a 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn past hand tight. I usually don't use a torque wrench wither but I was showing my son (he is 12) and wanted to show him the "right" way.

That is about what we did at 18 ft lbs. I just don't feel comfortable at 13 ft lbs.

It's great to hear you guys are spending time together figuring out how to do things right. I'm still learning a lot of this myself. If you are interested I've been putting a few videos of my outboard jobs on YouTube (youtube.com/DangarMarine), I'd love to see what other people on this forum are up to too..

Stuart

Back