Logo

2010 Crusader 5.7 MPI injector search

Tom_Alaska

I am trying to find a replacement injector for a Crusader engine. The injector is different that the ones sold as the factory replacement part.

The injector removed from the engine is original equipment, not an after market replacement. I bought the engine new from a dealer, this is the first time an injector was removed from the engine.

Crusader5.7 liter MPI
model number: 50-570-02
serial number: 690285
manufactured: December 2009

The original injector is pictured below. It has the factory paint obscuring any markings on its body. The only identification are numbers on the metal skirt which are 81667 and in much smaller script 0992813392.

The part provided as the replacement is Crusader part number RA087007 and is in the picture with the original injector.

There are several differences in appearance. Placing the RA087007 in the manifold it sits slightly different in height, enough of a difference that the fuel rail will not fit, and the o-ring is too small resulting in a loose fit. It is obvious that this is not the proper replacement injector.

I have run into several dead ends trying to find this replacement. Any help will be appreciated.

Injectors.jpg

Attachments

• Injectors.jpg
    Injectors.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Ayuh,.... My WAGuess is,.... They've up-dated the injectors, 'n ya gotta swap 'em as a set,.....

2x on the upgrade....the deater that sold you the new one should be questioned in that regard as he should have access to the service bulletin(s) that apply to you engine.....new injectors are gonna cost you an arm and a leg....I would send the old ones out for a thorough cleaning and testing - unless they have been damaged, the old ones are likely to be reconditioned just fine...btw, new injectors could also require an update to the flash memory of the ECU....just adding to the expense..

Thanks! I am thinking the other injectors are OK. This one injector failed due to an open in the coil. The others are working well, with less than 400 hours on the engine I expect that this one failure is a individual problem. I first learned of a problem with the starboard engine when I got an error message on my Murphy Powerview 101. It first appeared occasionally then frequently over a month period then it was constant and was noticeable when the engine was at idle. Measuring the resistance across the injector I found infinity, indicating an open. I will keep my fingers crossed hoping this is an electrical failure of just that one injector. Reprogramming the Murphy for the port engine I found no errors so maybe I will get lucky and get by with replacing that one injector when the correct one is found.

That's one failure mode...I'd still make the inquiry with the dealer, especially after paying retail...

FWIW, there's not much to an injector....there are a few good injector shops that rebuild (clean and flow test) injectors and don't do anything else....its quite likely they can match up something they have to what you need....and I'd start locally before hitting the internet....if you do go to the www, I'd suggest somebody that understands what "marine" involves....

I did some more on-line digging (I am in coastal Alaska with not much help locally). I also made a call to the Crusader factory and talked to an injector sales/repair shop on the east coast.

I learned that there is another Crusader injector listed for this engine; it is RA087007A. Yup, same number but with an "A" added. I found an on-line Crusader parts price list the has both injectors. See page 44 of the linked PDF.

http://www.marinegate.com/L550001-12.pdf

It took a bunch of on-line looking but I also found a site with a picture of the "A" injector.

http://www.dam-marine.com/mercruiser/injecteur-mpi-_22762.htm

It looks a perfect match. But since this internet site is in France I will pass on giving them a call to verify.

I contacted my dealer (in Washington state) and arranged for the return of the wrong injector and ordered an "A" version of the injector.

In a few days (with the help of USPS Priority Mail) I hope to be putting the new and correct injector in.

Last edited:
RESOLVED: 2010 Crusader 5.7 MPI injector search

The Crusader part number RA087007A proved to be the correct part. I installed it and the engine is running fine with no error codes showing up via my Murphy Powerview 101.

During this process of searching for the correct injector I talked with a couple marine parts stores and injector specialiality shops in the lower 48. I sent them emails with the pictures and called them on the phone. A couple shops identified the injector as being made by Bosch. But without being able to get any part numbers off of the injector (Crusader paints its engines and covers the markings on the injectors) and my attempts to scape off the Crusader paint looking for the markings on the injector was a failure as I scraped the numbers off as well.

Before installing the new RA08007A injector I noted the information marked on the injector body and found a number that was a Bosch injector identification number; 0 280 158 165.

Tracking this number down on-line I first found it identified on the Stan Weiss speciality engine website http://users.erols.com/srweiss/index.html as an injector used in Volvo Marine engines (I understand this to be a GM based kin to the Crusader and Mercury 350) that flows 262 cc/min and 26.83 lbs/hr at 3 BAR. Another site specifies the coil resistance to be 12.4 ohms which is what I measured.

MarineEngine.com lists the RA078007A part but has it identified as unavailable. But I found another on-line parts retailer that has it available.

With further online digging I found the GM part number that is suppose to be equivalent, 12609192 which is available for about half the cost of the “official”part from Crusader. It is worth investigating if the need arises.

added after initial post: Checking my notes and photos I realize that the GM part number "12609192" was also printed on the side of the injector!

Last edited:
Good info...now you know you have the newer style injectors and you don't have to pay MSRP in the future...good luck

Back