Logo

T4 repair, messed up cylinder

larsjorgen

I've got this old motor (unknown year) I'm going to overhaul. Started by cleaning filters, gas tank etc. Tried pulling the wire(?..sorry, English isn't my first language) to start it, but it was completely stuck. Opened up the cylinder and this is what I found. Nice, eh?

20150314_182701_zpstgi9kyvy.jpg

Whattaheck have happened? Water? The cooling system is around the cylinder; is it possible that the gasket for the cooling is broken, and if so, is it possible for the water to find its way into the cylinder? I'd have to take it all apart and replace all the gaskets, but is it possible that the motor is damaged in some other way? Anything I should look for, known problems with this motor or something like that?

that's not the cylinder we're looking at- just the water jacket around the cylinder. You might want to start by removing the starter assembly and see if you can rotate the flywheel by hand.

Haha oh.. Suddenly got a bad feeling about this project, maybe it ends up in a pile of parts. I'll try to do that, and get back to you.

Haven't had the time to work on this yet, but I'm about to. Can't seem to find the gaskets anywhere close to where I live, so my question is this - I need a quality gasket for the cylinder, right? I can't use heat resistant gasket silicone or something like that?

I've also got a Mercury motor. I just need to fix the Suzuki to have it as a backup. That's what I need help with, and even if you probably mean well with your advice I still need answers to my questions. :)

You will need to get the Suzuki manufactured head gasket for the head to the engine block, You cannot make one. As for the water jacket, you can probably make something work.

Last edited:
Back