Logo

88 force 125 with bad valve body

Joseph Williams

I have an 88 Cajun esprit with a force 125 outboard. I was told the valve body was bad and was the reason why the trim won't stay up and slowly creeps down. I have found this on eBay and was wondering if switching the pump with it would resolve the issue. http://m.ebay.com/itm/290537568485?_mwBanner=1

I heard you could rebuild the valve body but I am not a mechanic and don't want to risk making things worse and have found no further info on it. Anyone have any ideas?

Either one will work. Just know that both are probably made in China and won't last as long as a US made one.

Get one with a good guarantee.

Before you just replace the part, test it for leak down.

It's possible the tilt ram cylinder is leaking and the pump is ok.
You have the manual?

I can try to get the instruction on how to test.

Last edited:
I am willing to try anything. It lifts fine just slowly goes down, making solo launch dang near impossible. I really don't want to put a lot of cash into it since I plan on getting a boat that can handle big river(st louis Mississippi) and low water(I can't do much low water do to the trim issue. I don't have the manual but I do have a oring kit for the hydrolics but unsure if I wound be able to do it w'o a mechanic's help. I would greatly appreciate any testing tips. I am new to owning a boat still.

If all else fail and I do need to replace the pump how hard is it to do? The metal hose lines make me nervous, lol.

The change isn't that hard.
The fitting can be a B
Spray with WD-40 or PB Blaster
I also use a small propane torch to heat the fittings.
Your gonna replace the pump anyway so the heat won't hurt.

Hope you can understand. You'll need to buy a 3/16 inverted flare(female) and a 1/8in. plug for that. And a 3/16" inverted flare lug male.
The pics look blurry until you open them.
IMG_0422.JPGIMG_0423.JPGIMG_0424.JPGIMG_0425.JPGIMG_0426.JPGIMG_0427.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I gott go help spot a buddy who is doing his boat's first on water check since bought/repaired. I'll h to figure out where to buy the plugs then get to checking it soon.

Back