Logo

Excess fuel in carb throats?

Deano27

Contributing Member
Decided to rebuild and clean my carbs on a 1985 mairner 75 hp. I cleaned and installed new gaskets, floats, needles and seats. I swt the floats according to my manuel spec. It started right up in my test tank and ran well. I then adjusted the idle screws. After running I noticed excess fuel in both carb throats, its not popping or spitting out of the throats so the reeds are fine. Im wondering if I need to re set the floats or this is normal?? 20150311_182326.jpg20150311_182335.jpg I added pics.

Thnaks Jeff! That is what i was hopping you would say! I set them at 11/16 (got that from the manue) I will bend them 1/16 tonight and see what happens!

Thank again!

Thank you for the tip! Just so I can be clear.. I need to bend the needle tabs "up" 1/16 so the floats sit lower in the bowls, closing the needle sooner, allowing less fuel so the bowls dont overflow.. correct?

Thanks

I will Check the plugs! Yes I saoked and blew out all passages and jest on both carbs. My plan is to lower the floats 1/16 as Jeff suggested.

I am going to start over on idle mixture screws, here is how I am doing it,
1. start with the mixture screw 1 1/2 out from lightly seated
2. start motor and warm it to normal temp
3. turn the screw counter clockwise (richen) until it loads up and fires un even
4. turn clockwise until it smoots out then richen 1/4 of a turn
REPEAT ON BOTTOM CARB

Awesome! Im glad there is people like you guys willing to share their knowladge espically on a motor thats almosts as old as I am :D

Again thanks for all the help and pointers.

If everything goes smooth (fingers crossed) I will report back in a few weeks (ice melting on the lake) wehn i actually get it on the water and not just in the test tank

Well got it on the lake and it ran good. Only 2 things. Im running a 19p prop and could only get 4200 rpm on plane, I have a 17 p to try next tome to see if I can get up to 5200. The manual I have recommended I use buwh-2 plugs but when I got it it had buhw (smaller gap) in it. It starts alot easier and idles great withh the buwh and runs alot better at that. The buhw-2 plugs make it harder to start and doesn't idle as well. All of the coils are jumping a 7/16 gap and bright blue. Whats your opinions on this? Should i run the buhw intstead of the buhw-2?

Thanks!

Run what works best. but do NOT keep using that too high pitch prop. I ate a piston doing that with my triple.

Jeff

Back