Logo

Outdrive problem

footbrake

Contributing Member
I have a Volvo Penta duo prop outdrive and noticed last season that when I raised it, it would settle back down in about 15 minutes. Obviously something is leaking somewhere internally. I was told that if it gets real bad that in hard reverse the outdrive would try to screw itself right out of the water. What kind of money am I talking to get this fixed? I really never raise the outdrive because the boat is in a slip and the only time I raise it is to check the prop, and like I stated it will stay raised for a while. Wondering if I could get by for another season the way it is. Thanks for any input. Russ

Yes... in 1988 this is likely a 290 drive.
If so, this will be equipped with hydraulic trim/tilt, but will also incorporate the anchorage bracket and the reverse latch as a break-a-way feature.

If the drive is lowering, and if you do not see an external leak, then it's likely that either the cylinder pistons are allowing pressure to escape from the base side to the stem end, or you have a valve within the pump that is not holding.

Bob, I think that since he is able to raise the drive, oil level would not be the issue.

Footbrake, more hydraulic fluid is required to extend the cylinders (raise the drive) than needed to retract them.
(base end is minus stem volume)
If you do check the level, have the cylinders fully retracted (drive down).

Fluid is right up, so it must be what you're saying Ricardo. If I'm only using it to check the prop from time to time ,do you think I can let it go for a while? It sounds like a costly repair.

Back