Logo

96 force 120 overheated

jda

I got a 96 120 from a guy he said it overheated earlly last year he didnt tell me much about it, i got it home and could see coills melted some, lower bolt seprated from plastic so it looks like it got hot. Took off head 2nd piston pitted some scraches on lower side of cyclinder im worried. Took off the 2 carbs and reeds to look at cap needle berrings show a little sign of bubble circles on cap. question can case split on boat ? or dose head have to come off? is there bolts on bottom? need help thanks mutch in minesota ice is going off soon.

Last edited:
Gotta come off to split.

Some pull one or more piston from the motor while it's still together.
But it's way easier to reassemble when it's off and apart.

looking things over and not wanting truble on the water. I would like to pull the #2 piston to see if rings are cracked to cause scraches in cyclinder the pitted piston. What could cause the pitting its not bad but other pistons are good as i said some of the coils have some melting?

The pitting is probably from the ring breaking and bouncing around or the heat was so hot it melted.
If there is scratching the rigs are probably broken.
Or the carbon has built up enough to score the edge.

Pics??

It's pretty easy to remove the piston.
Just take LOTS!!!! of pics so it goes back together easy.

Got piston out yes top ring broke not sure if recovered all ring might be a few millimeters gone.

Last edited:
Yes, out the exhaust.
Now try to figure out WHY it broke a ring???
Could be it got hot.
The exhaust chest clogged and that piston got hot? or hotter than it should?
The carbs out of adjustment?
A dirty jet, or a low speed circuit clogged?

Thanks Jerry ordered new piston rings head gasket impeller, coil , from here, will be a few days before can get backto-engine work is picking up, know how to post pic. From iPad is not good sorry tried didn't work. Also old gas will have to go! Has in side tank not sure how big tank is in a Starcraft boat 17.3 long

Last edited:
Took bottom off to look at water pump impeller looked ok pulling on old impeller won't pull off to put on new rubber peller is there a trick locked on key. Took off exzost looked good over heat must be carbs will check latter

Last edited:
Impeller is off with help of 2 jaw puller came off hard was ridge on top of impeller from top cover it is wore to one side prop has chips was in rocks I guess filed off ridge and made sure impeller will slide on. Top cover has some wear in shaft hole also small 1/8 hole top cover is it for Water to prime pump?

Back