Logo

Evinrude 40HP VRO

D

David Shapcott

I have a Evinrude 40HP VRO ou

I have a Evinrude 40HP VRO outboard but I don't know what year it is. I want to get a manual for it. The Model number is AE40ELC0B. Is it possible to tell what year it is from the model number?

"David... the "CO" in

"David... the "CO" in the model number indicates your engine is a 1985 model.

Joe
"

" Thanks for the year of my en

" Thanks for the year of my engine.

I have second question. The 40HP Evinrude usually starts well and once warm it seems to cruise along OK but when the throttle is opened fully, it goes very well for about a hundred meters and then the engine cuts out. It can then be difficult to start.
I have checked the compression, and there is a large difference between the cylinders, 150 top and 105 on the bottom. Would this be causing the engine cutting out?
The spark is very good and it doesn't run out of fuel.
Do you have any suggestions about what I should attack first? "

"David.... Whatever is making

"David.... Whatever is making the engine cut out is of second rate importance now. A compression difference of 45 lbs is the thing you want to pinpoint before doing anything else. I suggest strongly that you remove the cylinder head and inspect the head gasket, cyl head and block surfaces, pistons, and cylinder walls etc. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

" The cylinder wall of the low

" The cylinder wall of the lower bore is badly scratched. They are fairly deep. Can the bore be honed, if so by how much?

Thanks "

"David.... Personally I don&#3

"David.... Personally I don't like to bore a cylinder over .040 oversize. Anything over .040 O/S, I prefer to have the cylinder re-sleeved to standard bore.

Joe
"

" We had bought an arrow boat

" We had bought an arrow boat from anderson marine pvt.Ltd. Goa in 1995, Powered by Johnson 40 HP OBM. The engine of late started giving problems It was landed for repairs to a local Marine Engg firm.The firm has reported that most of the parts including the crank shaft,crank rod,C bracket brg, Piston,piston rings etc have worn out.Anderson marines were approached for spares and they have quoted sky-rocket prices for the spares, most of which are not available with them presently.They can import these within 45 days, once a firm order is placed.The price of crank shaft alone is quoted as Rs 67000/- Iam unable to guess the main cause of wearing out of the parts.Can anyone suggest me the way out and address of other dealers for Johnson spares? "

Back