Logo

honda 9.9hp...connected battery cables backward.

johnsboat

I own a 1994 Honda 9.9 hp motor and recently mis-connected the battery cables. I replaced the blown fuse and can get it to turn over but it won't start. What is next?

If anything is going to be damaged, it would be the regulator/rectifier. The reg/rect does not have anything to do with the running of the engine. It only charges the battery. The charging system is completely separated from the ignition system.

Assuming that it ran before the battery incident, I would go back to basics and make sure the safety landyard is connected; drain the fuel from the carburetor and check for water or debris; and make sure you have good fresh fuel.

Make sure that the choke is working and you are advance the throttle (as far as you can) when you try to start it.

Mike

If anything is going to be damaged, it would be the regulator/rectifier. The reg/rect does not have anything to do with the running of the engine. It only charges the battery. The charging system is completely separated from the ignition system.

Assuming that it ran before the battery incident, I would go back to basics and make sure the safety landyard is connected; drain the fuel from the carburetor and check for water or debris; and make sure you have good fresh fuel.

Make sure that the choke is working and you are advance the throttle (as far as you can) when you try to start it.

Mike

Thanks. Will go through everything this weekend.

Back