Logo

'06 Opti 150, counter rotating engine the lower unit binds or jumps out of gear

leaky

Regular Contributor
Hi,

The last trip of the season I noticed the counter rotating engine clunked a couple times and was either binding or jumping out of gear. I limped home on the other engine. When I got back I checked the cable adjustment, which was OK. Draining some gear lube it's got a lot of glitter in it so I've got some problem. There are about 800 hours on the unit.

My first question is what is likely wrong? And then what merc tools (versus standard auto stuff I probably own) are really needed?

I have access to a merc shop and a full set of tools on a limited basis (ie use them to complete a step or figure out a shim) but want to save those favors if possible. I'm planning on getting the cover nut and shift shaft bushing tool so I can open it up for inspection then scoping out the project. (there is a puller needed too but it looks like a general purpose one I already own)..

Looking for advice on what to look for and must-have tools as the factory repair manual references some standard looking stuff as "merc tool XXX".

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Back