Logo

chrysler 360 overheating at high RPM

kpm

Hi, recently replaced manifolds and risers and the raw water pump. The engines stays at 160 until I
Increase speed to 2800 rpm and above. I always pull it back before it overheats, this has been an ongoing problem. The timing is good and it advances on the timing light with RPM.. I CHECKING for air in the system and at the water intake. I'm a very mechanical person and need help. The engine is a 360ci 250hp and runs very good, the fresh water cooling is a half system and the exchanger has been looked at a radiator shop.

Clogged inlet strainer (barnacles)? An air leak at the strainer?

Worn raw water pump? Belt slipping (unlikely, but...)

Jeff

PS: Running the same motors.

You must check this!!!!! pull the raw water hoses off your transmission cooler (close the raw water valve first) and check that that the tubes are not clogged. I went crazy trying to find out why my engine was running hot (under load) . I changed lot of expense parts only to find out that the tubes in the transmission cooler were clogged with tube worms. I cleaned them with a wooden skewer, it worked great!! You must check this!!

Good info!

One thing you can do that's easy and conclusive: Pull the hose off the raw water pump (after the pump) and aim it somewhere not troublesome. Then start her up. You should see a substantial flow at idle, increasing dramatically if you jazz the throttle.

Jeff

Back