Logo

Converting BF100/BF75 Long to Short Shaft

jduck1

Contributing Member
I am in the process of converting a 1985 BF75F from long shaft to short shaft. The donor motor I am using is a 1979 BF75Z. I was thinking all I needed to do was swap out the Drive Shaft, Water Tube, Shift Rod, and Extension case. What I found was the newer 85' motor uses a different water tube. The older motor has a water tube that has both ends the same size. The new motor has the same size tube as the old motor on the bottom that goes into the pump housing. On the top the copper pipe flanges out and it bigger where is attaches to the motor case. Just FYI if you ever do a swap out ;)

Anything else anyone has run into when doing thise type of swap? Any issues in doing this swap?

If anyone is interested in swapping parts on thier short shaft motor to make it a long shaft I am looking for another short shaft conversion for a 10 HP motor. Let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff

Been there done that. I just used the seals for the water tube from both engines together. doubled them up. worked fine, pumps good and no leaks. Mine was bf100 long and the donor is a good running BF75.

Back