Logo

df85 dies when gear engaged

homer63

1982 DF 85 Suzuki runs and shifts fine with the muffs on but when I put it in the ocean and shift into gear, it dies.... any thoughts ? has been sitting for about 12 years, changed the fuel but did nothing to carbs. Am I wasting my time trying to fix

Is it a DT model or a DF model for 1982 ?????------Do a compression test first.--------Then check for strong spark on each plug lead.-----On the trailer and even when it is shifted into gear it is still in neutral.------The propeller does not have to do any work !!--------So next step is to clean the carburetors and likely no money needs to be spent if you do that simple work yourself.

Last edited:
Racerone,, thanks for the reply. Is DT85 and with it in a barrel of water or with the muffs all works good, in the ocean, trying to push the boat it dies as soon as you put it gear. Will clean carbs and let you know. Thanks again

Trying to push the boat then the motor has to " work "-------On a hose or in a barrel full of air / exhaust bubbles the motor does not need to " work ".------Seems a simple concept and I do not understand that folks have a problem with that.

Back