Logo

Oiler Wick

toddjo

Folks, Just had a question about oiler wicks. My Johnson 1955 CD-12 repair manual advises you to put a few drops of light machine oil on the wick once every year. My 1966 3hp Lightwin manual states to Never oil the wick. I just removed the magneto on my Lightwin and everything looks like new, coils, points, spark plug wires etc. Can I apply a few drops of oil to the wick before I replace the magneto? Thanks! :confused:

Folks, Just had a question about oiler wicks. My Johnson 1955 CD-12 repair manual advises you to put a few drops of light machine oil on the wick once every year. My 1966 3hp Lightwin manual states to Never oil the wick. I just removed the magneto on my Lightwin and everything looks like new, coils, points, spark plug wires etc. Can I apply a few drops of oil to the wick before I replace the magneto? Thanks! :confused:

Early models like your 1955 said to oil the wick because they were not prelubed. By the time your 1966 came out, the wicks were saturated with a lubricant which may not compatible with oil. In any case, the rules probably went out the window because new points come with a new wick and the origonal probably isn't in there any more. So now the question becomes does your new wick contain a lube or is it dry. Add lube accordingly. Above all, remember excess lube will foul the points' contacts (a "few drops" is too much)..

Often the wick comes with a new set of factory points.---And if you doubt that then look it up on this site.-------The wick ready to use is included with a set of points.

Last edited:
Back