Logo

'81 OMC Sterndrive on Chev 350

frhrwa

I understand that the gear that lowers and raises the outdrive is a major weakness on the OMC sterndrive unit.. my question, can a hydraulic raise/lower system be put on in place of, or.... can a stabilizer shock (1 way shock for lowering) be installed to ease lowering the unit so it doesn't bind and do whatever it does that is wrong? thanks

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... 'bout all ya can do is tryin' maintain the original, in original condition, 'n workin' order,....

There ain't no up-grades for Stringer drives, as Stringer drives are Dead Horses,..... Antique, 'n Obsolete,...

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... 'bout all ya can do is tryin' maintain the original, in original condition, 'n workin' order,....

There ain't no up-grades for Stringer drives, as Stringer drives are Dead Horses,..... Antique, 'n Obsolete,...

it works except you have to bump it down.. alittle at at time to keep it from locking up I guess? there should be a way to add some sort of hydraulic shock to let you run it down smoothly.. I can't believe someone hasn't done this..

I would not spend any time trying to adapt a system for this.
There are lots of old stringer drive parts are out there.
Find what you need, and replace the bad parts.

A word to the wise:

Should you eventually encounter more serious and expenive repairs, give some thought to building a structural transom core, and going with a stern drive system!
If not, the old Stringer drive just may nickel and dime you to death.

I would not spend any time trying to adapt a system for this.
There are lots of old stringer drive parts are out there.
Find what you need, and replace the bad parts.

A word to the wise:

Should you eventually encounter more serious and expenive repairs, give some thought to building a structural transom core, and going with a stern drive system!
If not, the old Stringer drive just may nickel and dime you to death.

a thought tho, using a 90-10 ratio hydraulic shock, to ease the drive going down (90 side), then raising it would be on the 10 side.. it would be easy from what I see to build a mounting for the stabilizer unit.. then lowering it would have the hydraulics for assist so it doesn't zing down tearing up the gears.. ?

a thought tho, using a 90-10 ratio hydraulic shock, to ease the drive going down (90 side), then raising it would be on the 10 side.. it would be easy from what I see to build a mounting for the stabilizer unit.. then lowering it would have the hydraulics for assist so it doesn't zing down tearing up the gears.. ?

Ayuh,.... Or you could take it apart, 'n Fix the clutch pack, 'n tilt mechanism,...

Back