Logo

High Pressure Fuel Pump Grief

ScubaSwede

Alright, so I was hoping someone can help me work through this issue before I have to take my engine in. My engine, a 2014 DF175 outboard, got some bad gas and as you can imagine my high pressure fuel pump didn't last long. I bought the new part, and a new gas tank to avoid running into this problem in the future. After running good clean rec 90 fuel through the engine for a while, I took apart the fuel vapor separator system and replaced the pump. Now, to backtrack a little. Since this part went foul, the engine has been unable to rev up past 2000-3000 rpms and when it gets near there it starts sputtering and shaking. Sounds like safe mode to me but I'm not positive. Anyways, after installing the new part and running it on idle for a while to let it warm up and allow fuel to circulate through the pump, I brought it up to speed. Unfortunately, no change. I tried this repeatedly for a while but, still, no change. So I shut the engine off, removed the prop, and started it again, but this time I put it into gear. The engine successfully revved up and ran past 3000 rpms no problem. Would've been great but after taking it back down and then trying again the engine proceeded to promptly sputter and shut off. Now when I try to start it, it struggles to turn over (something that was not a problem before.) Is there something I'm missing? I don't want to damage this virtually new engine any farther but I'd like to avoid having to bring it in to a shop. I'm obviously no mechanic, but I know my way around marine engines. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Testing with the prop off and winding the motor up tells very little.-------Sort of like lifting an empty bucket of water with one arm.----Full bucket requires more work to be done !---------Time to visit your repair shop before more damage is done to an $$$$ motor.

In neutral these engines are rev limited. If water got to the VST and damaged the pump you can bet that the injectors need to be professionally cleaned.

Even though I am not a fan of SuSucki. I do have quite a few clients who have them and have done this service many times. They do not like moisture in the fuel,

My advice is to stop trying to get it running, pull the fuel rail and send the injectors out for service. Clean the fuel rail, pull apart the VST AGAIN, and clean it well. Wipe it out after with a clean rag. Blow all the fuel lines out, change the plastic fuel filter, hook up a clean tank after reassembly and test.

Back