Logo

Oops - Stuck Orifice Plug

klease

I acquired a '68 Evinrude 6hp (model 6803R) with a recently purchased Catalina 22 and decided I'd try my first carburetor cleaning. In true newbie fashion it seems I managed to screw it it up pretty well :(

When I was trying to remove the orifice plug from the bowl it was stuck and apparently I used to much force and ended up stripping it. I'm not sure it if moved at all, all I know is that there is nothing left to bite into.

So any advice? I looked around and I did find somebody who had a plug but a bowl is not to be found. Would it be worth putting it all back together and seeing if it happened to work with it as is or maybe very carefully drill it out, find another motor option or just get better at sailing where I don't need that damn motor anyway??

Naturally the plan is to head out next weekend for the family camping / sailing trip so I need to find a solution fairly soon

It sounds like you are describing the outer plug, I'm talking about the inner one. Maybe I worded it wrong though, just going by the parts diagram.

It's not reversed thread is it? If so then yeah that would probably be it. It was all pretty old and dirty so who knows how long it's been since it's been touched

If the hole in the orifice plug is not damaged or obstructed then you can put the bowl back on.----Use a new nozzle gasket and bowl gasket.-----------Was there any dirt / gum in the carburetor ?------Have you removed the flywheel for inspection of the coils ?

That shows what can happen if you don't use the correct special screwdriver. Never mind, what's done is done. At this point, soak it real good with carburetor cleaner and put it back together. It probably will be ok.

Back