Logo

no voltage

chargersteve

I recently bought a 1984 Charger 170 boat with a 1984 Mercury 115 inline 6 Serial # 65xxxxx. I replaced the stator(wires had rotted in half) and the starter(did voltage test) new one works old one didn't. The boat has not been started in 10+years. I also replaced two wires from what I believe to be the rev limiter(it was a rectangular box 3"x2" on the inside of the front plate with 3 wires running to the switchbox.) It has a new deep cycle battery. I have the correct ohms readings on the stator and trigger wires but have no voltage anywhere on those wires. I have voltage at the rectifier and can't detect any at any other place. Any ideas on what to check or should I head to the boat shop so they can put it on the analyzer? Thanks

Really nice diagram and thanks to you I realize it was the idle stabilizer that I repaired the wires on. I have checked fuses and the only other idea I have is to check wiring harness (by way of meter) to see if it is good.I was hoping that something was obvious after getting the right ohms readings off the stator and trigger and not having voltage anywhere.

I have not taken all the grounds off and sanded . I did the compression test and didn't think about internal lubing of cylinders(what do you "fog" with. What is a DVA?

DVA stanDVds for digital voltage adapter. It tells you the peak volts on a AC circuit.

Last edited:
DVA stands or digital voltage adapter....it reads peak ac voltage...

there are some options here..first of all a dva adapter is cheap for most meters...a good auto parts store will have them or they are on the web..but for a basic test to see if a stator is putting out at all you dont need the adapter...put your meter on ac volts and turn the engine a minimum of 300 rpm and you should see some output... that will tell you if the winding and magnets are ok...most stators put out a frequency of 60 cycle at 300 rpm and if you want to get scientific just multiply the reading by 1.41 and that will be the peak voltage...you can read trigger output the same way but the trigger is not 60 cycle so the peak will require the dva..the trigger will also be a lower voltage...

you dont mention having battery output on the heavy wire to your starter solenoid...do you have it there?

you dont mention having battery output on the heavy wire to your starter solenoid...do you have it there?
Yes I do. I have such a limited knowledge of boat motors and I paid so little for the complete outfit ,I will take it to a marine mechanic to get it running.
Thanks to all that contributed

I get intimidated with the wiring because there are so many ways to ruin good parts . I was testing the wiring harness and realized I was testing for continuity and not resistance and not sure which was correct. I would love to see if t new stator is good. Can I use my remote start tool by putting + on the yellow wire lug on the starter and the - on the bottom ground without hurting anything?

Back