Logo

1971 johnson 60hp high speed miss

Your testing has indicated a low ohm reading on the forward solenoid.------------Not that hard to replace that solenoid.--Did one a month ago !

Maaate! They seem really expensive! If ohm readings are the same ie upper and lower 5-6 can i substitute a lower solenoid for an upper to get neutral result?

How much can i get an upper solenoid for?

Do you know about the control housing ground i have been mentioning?

Thanks

I would take it apart and test the coil/s before buying anything. It could be a bare wire shorting also a couple bucks for a chunk mof shrink tubing would be alot cheaper? Your obsession with the ground wire is getting annoying and has nothing to do with the shift issue. If the wire is not connected on either end it is doing nothing it is not required on your motor unless you want to run a tach?

Thanks for your help so far. Didn't intend to annoy. I'm guessing to pull apart that it means taking off bottom leg and wasting the new oil I put in? I'm guessing I will need to attach wires so I can thread them them back through when done inspecting? My green solenoid I get no reading from when testing as opposed to 6.7 for the blue solenoid. Any tips/warnings for removal?

There should be no reason why you cant reuse the gearoil just run it through a paint strainer. Do you have a book for taking the gearbox apart?

No book. Just computer parts catalogs. They have the diagrams. Know of any youtube clips? I'm all about the pictures especially moving ones

You need to be willing to stop jumping to conclusions.--Such as wasting the oil to replace a solenoid.-----There is no need to even drain the oil to replace the neutral solenoid !

Maybe Racerone can give you some pointers I dont have a book for that motor.

What do you think racerone?
Any tips/warnings for gearbox removal?
I see it has four bolts to remove.
I see i need to attach string to solenoid wire so i can pull back through.
Thats all i can see... it looks like i drop gear box down and the wires should come out with it?
Thanks in advance.

Manual on the way.
If the gearbox fluid i removed was milky brown that means there was water getting in correct? If so which seals need to be replaced to prevent as i will be pulling off gear case anyway and doing impeller while i am in there checking solenoid and wires etc.
Thanks

When you put the flywheel back on allways torque the nut to spec probably 105 ft lbs torque before you try and start the motor.[/QUOTE]

105lb is way to much! Will strip thread! Manual says 70-85lb max for flywheel nut. Thanks for help tho.

Back