Logo

1963 Kiekkhaefer mercury 200, 20hp serial#1595573

djc02

I was given the above listed motor I have changed the impeller and oil in LU. does anyone know the oil/gas mix ratio

True, but the oil back then was so poor you needed to run that rich. OMC tried 100:1 (with disastrous results) and went back to 50:!.

Jeff

True, but the oil back then was so poor you needed to run that rich. OMC tried 100:1 (with disastrous results) and went back to 50:!.

Jeff
Yep, todays 2 stroke oil is far superior to anything available back then. However, so are the bearings, pistons and cylinders that the oil protects. Personally, I'd stick with the recommended ratio- a bit of smoke beats a smoked piston anyday.

The 20 hp model appears to be 1/2 of a 50 hp model.------Bearings / pistons appear to be the same for many , many years up until the last years of production for the 20 hp and the 50 hp.

I was given the above listed motor I have changed the impeller and oil in LU. does anyone know the oil/gas mix ratio

I have been running mine at 50:1 with no problems. You mentioned that you replaced your impeller, I am having a hard time finding one would you know where I can order from?

Here's a TSB from Mercury regarding fuel-oil mix for their older outboards:

Fuel-to-Oil Mixture Ratio for Older Mercury Outboards

Mercury Bulletin Number 80-6:

"A. USE OF FORMULA 50-D OIL IN OLDER MERCURY OUTBOARDS

Formula 50-D oil can be recommended (at a 50:1 mixture) for use in earlier Mercury outboards regardless of year of manufacture.

Formula 50-D also can be used in other brand outboards (at a 50:1 mixture), provided that the manufacturer recommends use of a 50:1 oil mixture"
(my bold letters).

The above was copied verbatim from a Merc Service Bulletins Microfiche.

Since this bulletin was issued over 30 years ago, I'd expect that Mercury's latest oil formulations (and any good TCW3 oil for that matter) would be far superior to the Formula 50-D oil.

A caveat to the above would be that this recommendation was made for production motors. If you are racing or operating a "racing" motor, you of course should run a much richer oil mix.

Cheers..................ed

Back