Logo

Mariner 75hp autolube bypass

billnorfolk

Hi can anyone help ,i have a 1988 Mariner 75hp clamshell hood ,ser no 9483083 .I would like to bypass the autolube system and revert to premix 50.1. The engine has a tank mounted starboard side with a pipe going into an oil pump from there another pipe takes it into a mixing fuel pump .My question is can this fuel pump be used for pumping 50.1 fuel direct from the fuel tank or does it need a different pump ,what do i do with the redundant oil pump and what electrics need disconnecting to make the bypass complete .I am in the UK and not really to much information on doing this job ,any advice will be much appreciated .Bill

One simple way to do it is to take the dischage from the pump and return that oil to the intake of the pump or the reservoir.------------The pump will pump 50:1 mix and it does not know what it is pumping.

Remove the link arm from the linkage to the oil pump. Remove the oil pump and pull the gear that goes into the block. Put the pump back on the engine. Remove the T fitting from the oil tank to the fuel line and put a straight piece of hose or straight hose barb in the line.
Disconnect and remove the oil injection warning module. Put the overheat sender on the cylinder head to the tan wire in the engine harness.

One simple way to do it is to take the dischage from the pump and return that oil to the intake of the pump or the reservoir.------------The pump will pump 50:1 mix and it does not know what it is pumping.

Thanks that seems a quick fix ,but i think i need something more permanent ,maybe do away with the oil reservoir.

Remove the link arm from the linkage to the oil pump. Remove the oil pump and pull the gear that goes into the block. Put the pump back on the engine. Remove the T fitting from the oil tank to the fuel line and put a straight piece of hose or straight hose barb in the line.
Disconnect and remove the oil injection warning module. Put the overheat sender on the cylinder head to the tan wire in the engine harness.

Thanks Jim seems a more permanent fix ,So the top pump which is i assume the fuel oil mixer is ok to leave ,and the smaller bottom pump needs the drive taking out and then fixing back on .I am not to sure about the pipes carrying the oil ,can't find a Tpiece as fuel is fed direct into top pump and oil via a smaller plastic pipe from lower pump is this the pipe i need to block once drive is out of oil pump.

Yes you are right ,but not to much of a job to put the tank back if need be .Not got any plans to sell it ,outboards cost a small fortune in the UK and what i would get for this over 25 years old i couldn't replace it for

Back