Logo

Mainship39

Mainship39

Crusader 501 950 hrs. Herd a nocking noise, I pulled each plug one at a time ,no indication from any
cylinder (nock did not stop) a finend a retired marine mechanic said could be a stuck lifter. After studying it a wile ,he said don't be concerned just run it. Another buddy came over and I told him the
story. We still could not figure out the nock, I throught I would run the engine. I let it idle for a wile (minute or two) then ran up to 1900 then 2300rpm ,all of a sudden the engine stopped. S*#* , thinking a of a hydro lock, we checked compression on each cylinder. When o went to #5 no compression, I thought to check the oil ! Drained out one gal. Of antifreeze. I am on a three month
vacation and look forward to getting into the engine late April. I have a leak down tester,never used it.
if I do can anyone tell me the steps and what to look for ie air coming from ?? At this point I guess I am looking at ex manifold, leak or cracked head or something more involved? Thanks
Mainship 39

I'd be taking off the head on the odd side. To process 4 quarts into the crankcase, you could be looking at a cracked block (could it have froze?), some massive head gasket breach, or maybe a cracked head. The engine stopping itself with 7 apparently good cylinders is not a good overall prognosis.

No it never froze, cracked block ! Far reach I hope these engines have Never been abused. It just blows my mind on this. What about a leak down on that cylinder,ware do you think I would find air ? Dip stick ,exhaust or ? PS I drained
all the oil replaced it with new oil mixed with miracle oil and and rotated the engine by hand. I was thinking if by chance cylinder is cracked or damaged,in could sleeve it .

thanks for opion Jim

Good for you, for you did all you could to save it. (Didn't get that impression from your post. Sorry.)

The head has to come off. Take a REALLY good look at the head gasket for a break. You might get lucky. Sure hope so.

Jeff

Thanks, I will just stay cool and relax down here in AZ. And get to it in mid April ,work till it is fixed one way or the other".........Thanks. Jim

Up date , could not find anyone to do the work and sleeve the one cylinder, ordered a long block. Just as I put in the new engine , I talked to a friend in are car club about what had happened ,and he told me about a guy that lived by me that had
a marine engine business. I talked to that guy and he bring buy the engine to look at. Well with his labor and me supplying
all the new parts except the sleeve for the bad cyl. $1,200 for my rebuilt short block. He said the heads are fine. Well I could
have saved $4,500 ! Now I have a spare motor go figure �� If I ever hear aNock I am going to pull all the plugs. Then rotate the motor to make sure if coolent is in a cyclinder and save a Block and save ������JimGill

Last edited:
Back