Logo

135 hp 2 stroke running in idle but not in gear

MissBoaterUSA

My 1989 135hp 2 stroke outboard has been on and off ever since I bought it. It was neglected when I first bought it, hadn't been run for months, so I brought it to a boat mechanic friend who cleaned out the carbs, got the compression back up, redid the fuel lines and filters, and so many other things inside the motor.
I have always had trouble with this motor running in gear. It will run forever in idle, however once I put the throttle into gear the engine just turns off by itself.
I had a mishap down in the keys where the drain plug was not put into the boat before launching, and nobody realized until water was coming up onto the deck. Therefore, I believe the motor is not running now because water got into the fuel tank and got run through the motor.
My boss(who is in the boating business) told me i should get something called mystery oil and spray it in the spark plug holes.
If anybody has any experience with this kind of thing, I would love some help.
Thanks ahead of time.
Happy boating.

Also, I find it weird that, a few months back when the motor used to run slowly, even with the throttle all the way down, it would kick in randomly and go on plane for a short amount of time, then slow back down and even stall. Sometimes while motoring along (slowly before the other cylinders kick in) I would turn the wheel sharply and it would automatically kick in the other cylinders, but then slow back down when I straighten the wheel out. I find this super weird?
People tell me it could be the carbs but I got them serviced so what else should I do?

Last edited:
You MIGHT have a short in the remote control harness. Try temporarily removing the kill wire to the switch boxes and see if that helps; the wire is black with a yellow tracer.

Jeff

Back