Logo

Ouestions again, I can't find problem

scruffy63

Regular Contributor
I have a 5hp Briggs & Stratton outboard motor that Surges, I can't find any service shops to ask questions about it. No help searching the briggs sites. I was told it may be a speed limiter but the manual I bought does not even cover that. And finding a speed limiter is a problem. Carb is new and fuel pump but it surges when accelerating. I am at a loss.

I replaced fuel pump and filter, am in process of cleaning old carburetor, I put a new carb on it and adjusted the carb like manual stated. Started great and idled nice but upon giving it gas just above idle it starts to surge up and down very bad.It runs WOT but surges up and down. I guess its not the rev limiter but don't have clue. I have rebuilt hundreds of evinrude and johnsons and never had a problem so you can understand my frustration. We have no one here that I can get any info from. I called Briggs but they were not able to help me with the model number I gave them.

That is the only thing I have not checked. I know its venting but it may be a fuel line problem I will check that. Thanks

Back