Logo

05 BF135 slight trace of water in the oil

h500driver

Picked up a 05 bf135 with 600 hours on it. 10 hours after oil change seller stated that has a slight bit of water has shown up in the oil. Other than a leakdown test is there anything else I should look at also? Thanks in advance.

Check spark plugs for carbon build up.

Ask owner if he has been doing a lot of slow speed operation.

Also check both thermostats to make sure either one is not stuck open. The engine could be running too cold and any built up condensation is not being burnt off.

Likewise, if the seller was operating in cold weather or slow speed operating and not running the engine up after using it, it could just be condensation build up.

Mike

Number 4 cylinder looks to have some water intrusion per the spark plug. I bought a seloc manual but it's very vague on cylinder head removal. Anyone have a few pages from the factory manual they'd like to share. Cant get the honda manaul until wednesday and it's killing me not being able to tear into it.

#1 cylinder 183
#2 170
#3 170
#4 195
On compression, note that engine was cold when test was performed. Should a leak down test tell me if the head gasket is fubarred?

The leakdown test will help you determine why the compression is so varied.

At least it will tell you whether there is a problem with the intake/exhaust valves or the rings/cylinders. A bad head gasket would probably show up too.

Once you do you test....unless it tells you something obvious, decarbonize the engine and retest to see if it improves.

Mike

Back