Logo

Want to add manifolds into my closed cooling circuit on my 318's

mattv

Contributing Member
It will be time to replace exhaust in the next year or so on my 318's. Do you think the stock heat exchanger can handle adding the manifolds into the closed cooling loop?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, not only the Heat Exchanger capacity will need to be verified, but your seawater pump volume may not be adequate for a "Full System".

Also:

your current H/E may have a single coolant return port, whereas a full system may require two coolant return ports.

your thermostat housing will now change.

I'm posting several closed cooling system schematics for you... one being for a "Half" system, the other being for a "Full" system.
Note the differences in the coolant supply and coolant return paths, and the spent seawater paths as it exits the H/E in each scenario.
Elbows are always seawater cooled in either scenario.

Attachments

• Closed Cooling schematic  for mcomm.jpg
    Closed Cooling schematic for mcomm.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 89
Thanks Rick, do you think teeing off a the original T stat housing would work as long as the house were similar in length and routing? I know older Chrysler engines used the dual pocket pumps, was that a full system item? Not quite sure how to see if pump and heat exchanger can handle it yet but I will do some research. I'm interested as I would potentially save $1,000 in manifolds the next go around.

Matt

Hi Matt
This is a copy of the single pocket raw water pump cooling circuit.

Attachments

• Single pocket Sherwood pump circuit.jpg
    Single pocket Sherwood pump circuit.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 50
Matt, I'd not use a dual pocket seawater pump for this.
I would also suggest using the correct twin port T-stat housing, of which also means using the correct twin return port Heat Exchanger, and of the correct size!

All must work together, or you will have trouble!

Matt if you go to the older two pocket pump configuration it should be plumbed in this way. This is in the raw water cooling and not the closed loop cooling for the engine itself. The engine heat exchangers would have to be increased in size if you were to add the Exhausts to that system.

Attachments

• Twin pocket cooling loop.jpg
    Twin pocket cooling loop.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
All due respect Toonl, but I see no reason to continue thinking "raw water" cooling and the related components.
There are literally thousands and thousands of closed cooling systems out there that are successfully using a single pocket seawater pumps.

BTUs are BTUs, and that's what we're doing........ removing BTUs from the heat source (I. E., the engine).

With a closed cooling system (whether half or full) the media simply becomes ethylene glycol and then back to seawater again.
A single pocket pump will easily handle the demands.

Most all seawater is being sent out with the exhaust.
Only a portion is required for actual engine cooling.

If a dual pocket pump is used, it will complicate the design and installation!

Last edited:
I fully agree Ricardo. I am a fan of full closed loop systems, and a single pocket pump keeps it simple. Not knowing what Matt actually has I was simply showing the different ways cooling has been handled on these older Mopars so that he could check for correct hose routing.

I fully agree Ricardo. I am a fan of full closed loop systems, and a single pocket pump keeps it simple. Not knowing what Matt actually has I was simply showing the different ways cooling has been handled on these older Mopars so that he could check for correct hose routing.

Ah..... got Ya!
thanks for clarifying!

I currently use a single pocket pump and have determined that I have single pass heat exchangers. Not sure if they can handle the extra components or not. Does any have a full closed cooling on their 318 out there? I would love a pic of the set up. No matter what comes out of this project I'm finding a way to rid myself of the swivel risers, they are the worst invention on earth!

Unless these are very large, the single pass heat exchangers are not likely candidates for a Full System!

Last edited:
Back